    nobody will buy it (Understandable!) so I just wanna upgrade it with
    minimum costs!

    Appreciate any good advice , thanks!

    nabiljbour, Aug 10, 2006

  2. nabiljbour

    Fujikapesta Guest

    you might be able to get up to a 550, but NOT worth it at all
    You wouldn't notice any difference.....

    have fun

    Fujikapesta, Aug 10, 2006

  3. nabiljbour

    Rod Speed Guest

    wrote
    Yes you can, but the ram isnt likely to be usable on the new motherboard.

    Rod Speed, Aug 10, 2006
  4. nabiljbour

    Mistoffolees Guest

    About the only possible upgrades are a faster Pentium III
    Katmai (pre-Coppermine) CPU and RAM. Hang around computer
    salvage bins, junk stores, etc., and something good might
    turn up at minimal costs. That is, about the fastest CPU
    upgrade is to 600 MHz and max RAM for the motherboard is
    typically 384/786 MB. As for video card, perhaps AGP1X or
    2X with 64 MB of video RAM.

    Mistoffolees, Aug 10, 2006
  5. nabiljbour

    PeeCee Guest

    In principle you should be able to swap out your motherboard and CPU for a
    faster motherboard / CPU combo.

    However there are a few gotcha's you will have to watch out for:

    1 Your Ram is unlikely to be useable in the new motherboard (SD vs DDR) so
    add $$$
    2 Your Power Supply is unlikely to be grunty enough. So add $$$
    3 Check your Case will take the replacement motherboard. Not all PC's are
    fitted with standard size motherboards and may require extensive surgery to
    accomodate a different shaped one. Maybe $$$$
    4 Make sure your new motherboard has enough IDE slots to accomodate your
    HD/CD/DVD mix. May have to leave bits out.
    5 Is your case ventilation sufficient for the greater heat produced by newer
    motherboard/CPUs. Add the price of at least one case fan.
    6 If Serial connections are important do note most new motherboards are down
    to one serial port and that is likely to disappear soon.

    Once you have redone your sums visit your local box vendor and you are
    likely to find you can get a reasonable box only for the same money but with
    new drives & case, 12 months warranty and no hastle putting it together.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 10, 2006
  6. nabiljbour

    JANA Guest

    The case and power supply may not support the new mother board. Also, it is
    generally not worth it. By the time you finish, you will be approaching the
    cost of a new computer.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Hello,
    I have a pentium II 450 Mhz desktop pc,
    I allready have good ram, cd-rw, dvd rom drive, monitor keyboard mouse
    speakers etc... !!!
    Any one knows if i can just buy a new motherboard with a faster
    processor ?

    JANA, Aug 10, 2006
  7. nabiljbour

    ZoomZoom Guest

    It's not work upgrading, just see if you can find yourself a barebone system
    (case, power supply, mobo/cpu) which takes your type memory and move
    your drive over into it. If you get lucky the operating system might
    reconfigure
    itself for the new mobo and you will be ready to go, if your not lucky you
    will
    need to reinstall the operating system and it would be best to reformat the
    hard drive at that time so you get a nice fresh load.

    Don't spend $$$ just to get it running a 200MHz faster, you won't be
    satisfied with it.

    ZoomZoom, Aug 10, 2006
  8. nabiljbour

    Jerry Attic Guest

    said in 75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    Despite what these other guys say, it probably is a waste of money to
    upgrade it, especially if it's a name brand like HP, Compaq or Dell. They
    use a lot of proprietary components.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Aug 11, 2006
  9. nabiljbour

    ProfGene Guest

    It depends on how much you want to upgrade and why. If you want a real
    powerful computer you might also need a bigger power supply but if you
    just want to get a faster computer you could go with either an AMD or
    Intel chip with a corresponding motherboard. You most likely will need
    new RAM because those old comuters did not use DDR RAM so you could do
    it for a under 200 dollars and how good a bargain you can find will
    determine how good the computer and how much RAM but if you want to keep
    it around 200 then 512 DDR RAM would do.

    ProfGene, Aug 12, 2006
  10. nabiljbour

    Plato Guest

    All depends.