** hardware malfunction

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tim, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I recently upgraded x64 drivers for my nvidia gt6600 video card to version
    77.77 and the following message appears when playing video in Windows Media
    Player:

    ** hardware malfunction
    call your hardware vendor for suppport
    NMI: parity check / memory parity error
    *** the system has halted***

    I have been running x64 flawlessly for some time now. I haven't installed
    any new hardware lately. The only change has been the update to the driver
    for Nvidia GeForce GT6600. Today, I installed the latest drivers, version
    78.01 and the Windows Media Player plays a little longer, but then the blue
    screen of death appears with the same error message as above. I am thinking
    of installing the earlier video driver version and seeing if that won't
    solve the problem. The machine and OS has been flawless so far, so this
    error sucks.Machine is SuperMicro X6DA8-G2, 2GB Kingston ECC Reg
    DDR2-400MHZ, NVidia Geforce 6600gt display adapter, 2 SATA drives, 3 U320
    SCSI drives, DVD/RW, etc.

    Any plausible solutions are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks again,
    Tim

    Tim, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Tim

    John Barnes Guest

    What are you using it for when the problem happens? I have been using it
    for internet playback and mp3 file playback with no problems.

    John Barnes, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Tim

    Guest Guest

    Tim:
    You migh also want to try to rollback to a prior situation (before 77.77
    drivers) and see what happens.
    Installation of video drivers for NVidia must be done after uninstalling
    prior versions.
    Not doing so can cause problems.
    I use a program called NVsomething (can't remember the name) that modifies
    Nvidia drivers so that they automatically uninstall previous versions before
    installing the new one.
    Hope this helps.
    Carlos

    Guest, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I uninstalled the 77.77 version and have installed an even earlier 66.96
    version of Nvidia drivers, but the error is still occurring.
    Maybe it is the 6600gt card itself, or it is the memory chips, or something
    else. The error occurs when I play streaming broadband video from msn.com.
    Any ideas on what to do, besides not play videos on Windows Media Player?
    Thanks,
    Tim

    Tim, Sep 9, 2005
  5. Try and pull the card and re-seat it, the same treatment goes for memory
    sticks - only swap them in their sockets when putting them back in.

    If that does not work, try a memory test, microsoft has a free utility that
    you can download:

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    it runs series and loops of tests, let it run over night and see what it
    says.
    (comes with a fairly complete manual too)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 9, 2005