    I'm looking to bond 2,(and perhaps 3 or 4), dsl connections
    together, anyone in a position to suggest a suitable cisco
    router for this?

    Captain, May 16, 2004

  2. :I'm looking to bond 2,(and perhaps 3 or 4), dsl connections
    :together, anyone in a position to suggest a suitable cisco
    :router for this?

    If you don't have the active cooperation of your ISP, then
    you are unlikely to get -any- Cisco product to work.

    As far as I understand, in order to bond DSL, you need the
    ISP to be running PPPoE and have configured to allow multilink
    bundles at the PPP level. This implies that the ISP is running
    PPPoE, and implies they are willing to enable multilink for you.
    (It also implies that all of your connections are to the -same- ISP.)

    There is, I gather from this newsgroup, a different vendor who
    somehow overlays bonding on top of DSL. Unfortunately, I do not
    recall the vendor or equipment model, as this is not something I've
    needed to use. I suggest you use google groups to look at the past
    postings about bonding DSL that have appeared in this newsgroup.

    Walter Roberson, May 16, 2004

  3. Captain

    Captain Guest

    Actually I already have the ISP on board,(and it is PPPoE).

    But I would prefer to use my "own" gateway router,(and I
    have no experience with using cisco on a dsl line)?

    Also, does BGP work when used to combine dsl connections
    from different providers?

    Captain, May 17, 2004
  4. Captain

    mh Guest

    External BGP neighbors normally sit on directed connected networks.
    When one has multiple parallel links the a load balanincg technique is
    to use loppback address in the configuration for the EBGP neighbor.
    Static routes are configured pointing to the loopback address on the
    far-side neeighbor.

    I would not recommend you try to bundle links from different ISP if
    using over these links. You have to use the EBGP-multihop feature and
    trying to figure out the hop count to prove to be a very interesting
    exercise.

    mh, May 17, 2004
  5. Captain

    mushroom_mover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Bonding of DSL without MLPPP

    FYI, it is possible to bond these together, and actually you don't need support from the ISP (e.g. MLPPP) to support this. Nor do you need to mess with BGP. It is not a cisco solution but may I suggest you take a further look if you are interested.

    For example, you can combine four DSL lines at 6Mbps down/ 768k up each to create a 24 Mbps down/ 3Mbps up data connection. Even a single file transfer, single streaming video source, or single VPN connection will have access to the full bandwidth, unlike other load balancing solutions.

    For more details please see do a Google search on "Mushroom Networks"

    May your future networks have mushrooms in them... ;)

    mushroom_mover, Nov 4, 2008