    with silent psu etc, but this harddrive noise sort of defeats the purpose.
    Do hard druves get noisier the hotter they get?

    Thanks for any help.

    billybronco, Jun 1, 2004

  2. billybronco

    Dominic Guest

    You might want to check that the drives are screwed in securely/tightly
    (since you said the noise disappears if you press against the case). If they
    are loose this will increase the noise level.

    My computers have Maxtor hard drives and they are quieter than the
    near-silent fans in the PSU. Have no experience of Seagate drives.

    Dominic

    Dominic, Jun 1, 2004

  3. billybronco

    bardeban Guest

    tighten the screws to the hard drive to case.
    if you chose ATA 133 or higher , the noise gets lower, which is new
    technology hard drive.

    bardeban, Jun 1, 2004
  4. billybronco

    Hamman Guest

    Well i'm using maxtor disks in my server which is on 24/7 and my desktop
    which gets a lot of HDD intensive apps thrown at it. They run near-silently,
    i can't hear them over my volt modded CPU and case fans, and run at 38.5
    degrees.
    I used to use seagate drives and they were noisier, not sure about the newer
    ones though.

    hamman

    Hamman, Jun 1, 2004
  5. billybronco

    Gareth Jones Guest

    This sounds like its a bad mounting in the case rather than the drives
    themselves.
    Cheap case?
    Not screwed in right?
    Only one/two screws?
    No rubber mounts??

    Without checking, I can't be certain, but I thought the latest
    barracudas were one of the quietest drives out there and are recommended
    for quiet applications ??

    followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
    followed by 'net'

    Gareth Jones, Jun 1, 2004
  6. billybronco

    billybronco Guest

    Thanks for all you replies. The case is an Antec 1080amg, I think its an ok
    case (it cost a lot!). The hard drives are actually 2 seagate barracuda 3
    ata 100 40 gb, perhaps these are a little noisier than the newer models??.

    Otherwise they are screwed in tight all 4 screws, only thing I dont have is
    rubber mounts, ill look into this.

    thanks again everyone.

    billybronco, Jun 1, 2004
  7. billybronco

    David Besack Guest

    Thanks for all you replies. The case is an Antec 1080amg, I think its an ok
    Sometimes even if you screw them in tight, the HDD rack itself can make
    noise when it vibrates, it can also make the case vibrate and make noise.

    If you can get some rubber grommets and place them around the HDD
    screw-holes, they reduce vibration, and stop any noise being generated
    between the drive and the drive rack.

    If you don't have grommets available, try some rubber washers.

    David Besack, Jun 2, 2004
  8. billybronco

    Yellowbeard Guest

    Hi,
    Samsung is the best bang for the buck and VERY quiet.
    NewEgg has the best deals and service.
    See reviews for the 160gig here
    http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=22-152-011
    Or the 120gig here
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-013&depa=0
    Plus Samsung has 3 year warranty.
    Over the last couple of years I have changed out all my drives to Samsung.
    40gig
    80gig
    120gig
    All are very quiet and not one problem.

    I have used Quantum, WestDig, Fujitsu, IBM, and Maxtor.
    Samsung is the quietest I have used.
    YB

    Yellowbeard, Jun 2, 2004
  9. billybronco

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I have just bought a Samsung Spinpoint after reading good reviews of it and
    I can say it is considerably quieter than my Seagate Barra (Only 6 months
    old) and I thought the Seagate was quiet.

    ~misfit~, Jun 2, 2004
  10. billybronco

    Don Taylor Guest

    Since you mentioned noise and heat, others have said in the past that
    rubber mounts cut down the conduction of heat from the drive to the
    cage and this can be a substantial part of the cooling for drives,
    unless you add fans and that adds more noise...
    Sometimes it seems like you just can't win.

    Don Taylor, Jun 2, 2004
  11. Hitachi drives run faster, quieter and cooler.

    Colon Terminus, Jun 2, 2004
  12. <schnippen crossposts>

    I like Maxtor. They are very quiet....;o)

    "billybronco" <[email protected]_defiency.iron> chiseled in stone,
    the following words

    @}-}-------Rosee, Jun 2, 2004
  13. billybronco

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Coincidence time.... that's what I'm using on this machine now.
    Without opening it up to check...... this has a removable drive caddy
    unit yes? It could very well be the whole caddy itself that's vibrating
    (is the clamping lever all the way in??)
    Take the whole thing out run the machine with the caddy on something
    like a piece of soft cardboard. Should be easy to find out the source of
    the prob them (although its probable the noise will have gone now)

    As an aside, someone else mentioned rubber mounts not transferring heat.
    Even with the drives screwed directly into the metal of the case, they
    will still get hot. The Antec has a mounting for a front case fan that
    blows over the drive bays. You hardly need any air movement to
    substantially cool these drives down.... but with none at all, you're
    asking for problems. Get an 80mm quiet fan and run it slow.
    Also, you don't have the two drives stacked right on top of each other
    do you ?? this will really cook them. space them out. There's plenty of
    room in that caddy!

    Gareth Jones, Jun 2, 2004
  14. Yeah, that fluid bearing series, by, darn, who makes those things again?
    Maxtor I think.

    http://www.silentpcreview.com/section14.html

    I've read very good things about people who use some sort of elastic
    chord instead of a normal screw mounting.

    Jeroen Wijnands, Jun 2, 2004
  15. billybronco

    wooducoodu Guest

    wooducoodu, Jun 2, 2004
  16. Barracuda V were the first of the very quiet Seagate drives
    from memory. The current model 7200.7 are almost as quiet. Some
    people say they are slightly noiser, but others can't tell the
    difference. I have the 7200.7 and find it silent in operation.

    John Saunders, Jun 2, 2004
  17. billybronco

    Plato Guest

    Yesterday I just put in a new 7,200 80 gig WD HDD into an older pc. WDs
    are normally some of the noiser ones but this one I couldn't even tell
    it was on. I thought I forgot to hook up the power cable :)

    Plato, Jun 2, 2004
  18. billybronco

    Kokoro Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, Don Taylor ordered an army of
    hamsters to type:

    Zalman have a heatpipe passive HD cooler, that also comes with rubber
    mounts for the drive. I only have one, and will be buying more for future
    drives, cheaper and its better looking too than the fan'ed coolers.

    Kokoro, Jun 2, 2004
  19. billybronco

    Ben Pope Guest

    Ok, you have lots of opinions.

    Here is a fact:

    Drives with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB) are quieter than those without. At
    least idling. :p Some drives seem to make a lot of noise seeking whilst
    others don't.

    Yes, it's a generalisation, but nevertheless if you take two similar drives,
    one with and one without, the one with FDB will be quietest.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jun 2, 2004
  20. billybronco

    Bill Guest

    Maxtor, Hitachi/IBM, Seagate, and WD all make fluid bearing hard
    drives, you just have to check the specs on the drive models.

    Bill

    Bill, Jun 3, 2004