    loss of power could cause an HDD to crash, and what preventive measures
    can be taken? Is it a sign that the surge protection is inadequate?

    Dave

    Dave Hardenbrook, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    Shadow36 Guest

    A sudden loss of power, not allowing the HD to park correctly can cause
    physical damage to the drive.

    Shadow36, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Dave Hardenbrook

    Zac Guest

    Many power failures are immediately preceeded by a power surge. I recently
    lost a hard drive on an RCA Cable Box at home, along with my Kenmore Oven
    controls and HVAC blower controls. Total Damage about $2,500. Luckily the
    cable box belonged to the cable company. APC Battery Backups are not that
    expensive anymore, and can really protect your equipment. Install the
    software too, and you'll see a surprising range of voltage on the home
    circuits.

    Zac

    Zac, Nov 1, 2007