    SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with a
    SATA drive?
    Thanks.

    John Smith, Oct 7, 2004

  2. John Smith

    SPAMHATER Guest

    "John Smith" <> schreef in bericht
    news:ck3554$6g0$...
    >I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
    >SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with a
    >SATA drive?
    > Thanks.

    Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

    SPAMHATER

    SPAMHATER, Oct 7, 2004

  3. John Smith

    DevilsPGD Guest

    SPAMHATER wrote:
    >>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
    >>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with a
    >>SATA drive?

    > Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

    Actually that is not correct -- This rule only applies to devices on the
    same IDE cable (which isn't applicable to SATA at all, since you only
    put one device per cable)

    It will tend to apply if you're using RAID-1 or RAID-5 between drives of
    varying speeds, but this isn't an especially common configuration.

    --
    The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have
    their own.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 7, 2004
  4. John Smith

    Jimi Guest

    Well put across

    Jimi, Oct 7, 2004
  5. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "SPAMHATER" <> wrote in message

    > "John Smith" <> schreef in bericht
    >>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
    >>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with
    >>a SATA drive?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd
    >
    > SPAMHATER

    --------------
    OK, Thanks for comments.
    John

    John Smith, Oct 7, 2004
  6. John Smith

    SPAMHATER Guest

    "DevilsPGD" <> schreef in bericht
    > SPAMHATER wrote:
    >>>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
    >>>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with
    >>>a SATA drive?

    >> Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

    > Actually that is not correct -- This rule only applies to devices on the
    > same IDE cable (which isn't applicable to SATA at all, since you only put
    > one device per cable)
    >
    > It will tend to apply if you're using RAID-1 or RAID-5 between drives of
    > varying speeds, but this isn't an especially common configuration.
    >
    > --
    > The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their
    > own.

    Sorry little error of mine :)

    SPAMHATER

    SPAMHATER, Oct 8, 2004