    run, and when it came on, about 80% of the drive was gone.

    Is it time to toss this one out? Or is there a simple fix?

    Thanks.

    PowerPost2000, Mar 1, 2005

  2. PowerPost2000

    Pikan Guest

    check cables - if still keeps breaking - buy new drive.

    try running

    format F: /u

    if you have xp or win2k then try doing the following

    start -> run -> CMD -> press enter
    then type

    convert F: FS:NTFS

    this will convert the file system to NTFS - more stable and secure.

    more information on this can be found at

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

    Also might be worth a shot hooking the drive up to 1) a different cable
    2) a differnt HDD controller. As it is possible the problem lies with
    one of those things and not the drive.

    Pikan, Mar 1, 2005

  3. http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999

    Togobacteria Peptidovorans Xylosoxydans Rymovirus, Mar 1, 2005