    Is there a neat trick to get a stuck harddrive to spin up?

    Someone mentioned a freezer!

    Jonah

    Jonah, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Jonah

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Jonah

    philo Guest

    you can try freezing it...it probably won't help...
    but there is a small chance it might.

    as a total last resort...
    since the drive is no longer reliable...here is something i did once that
    worked:

    i put the offending drive in a machine along with a 2nd drive
    for storing backup data.
    then i opened up the bad drive and very *gently* nudged the arm
    until the drive began to function again...
    i then retrieved the data and stopped using the bad drive of course!

    philo, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Jonah

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:16:06 GMT, Jonah

    |>Is there a neat trick to get a stuck harddrive to spin up?
    |>
    |>Someone mentioned a freezer!

    A freezer, sharp rap, drop it...

    I've taken the cover off of one that wouldn't spin-up once and push
    started it. (grabbed all I wanted off of it error free). Not at all a
    suggestion, but an option.

    Pennywise, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Jonah

    Jonah Guest

    I tried the freezer, I do not want to invalidate my warrantee with
    Western Digital, so your option has got to be iffy. If I b***r it up
    then they won't pay"

    However if I give my drive to them they won't recover my data without a
    charge.

    Between a rock and a hard place. The drive was my backup of some
    valuable data from my last job. Sadly the workplace no longer exists and
    my data is on this b***y new drive. Built only last October 2003. Its
    the second WD drive to fail me. I certainly won't be buying any more of
    them.

    Jonah

    Jonah, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Jonah

    Mistoffolees Guest

    If the problem is just "stiction" (or "sticky friction")
    involving the platter spindle and bearings, take the HD
    and slam it flat on to a mouse pad...just once. Put back
    into computer, power up and the HD might start spinning.
    OTOH, if the HD motor is dead, then use a professional
    data recovery firm to retrieve the data; WD will not
    recover the data if the HD is returned to it.

    Mistoffolees, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Jonah

    bkupmstr

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I know its a little old but

    I too my non-spinnin drive and put it into and old tower machine and it spun right up.

    I was able to copy off all the data and now I'm looking to buy a new enclosure to try to remount the drive in

    Good luck all!

    bkupmstr, Jul 31, 2011