hard drive spins up but BIOS doesn't recognize

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rdlawrence, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. rdlawrence

    rdlawrence Guest

    Hello Everyone-

    I had two hard drives in external HD cases and a faulty ac adaptor sent
    too much current through the drives (what's that burning smell?) and
    then they stopped spinning up completely.

    I have since replaced the controller board on one of the drives from a
    new drive with the exact same model no. It spins up now but BIOS does
    not recognize the drive no matter what jumper settings are set.

    I'm at a loss for what to do next...and I don't want to drop a few
    grand to have someone do something simple.

    Any brilliant ideas???

    Thanks for your help,
    Dan

    rdlawrence, Jun 26, 2006

  2. rdlawrence

    GHalleck Guest

    Replacing the controller board of the external HD enclosure might
    just be a half-measure. It is possible for the electronics card in
    the hard drive to also be damaged. This is where the HD's ID and
    bios chip is mounted.

    GHalleck, Jun 26, 2006

  3. rdlawrence

    beenthere Guest

    Have you tried the drive in your machine as a Slave device ?.

    beenthere, Jun 26, 2006