    the ones with the red chord. Can I get some kind of USB device, like a
    IDE to USB device for my unused drives?

    Thanks

    teak, Nov 14, 2008

  2. teak

    John O Guest

    sure, search for SATA to IDE converters. A few years ago they cost about
    $12.

    Or, you can get USB enclosures that handle IDE drives for even less, but the
    data transfer speed will be lower.

    -John O

    John O, Nov 14, 2008

  3. teak

    teak Guest

    How are they powered?

    Thanks again

    teak, Nov 14, 2008
  4. teak

    Patty Guest

    You can get something like this:

    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=4668

    Then you can internally mount your IDE drive, connect it to the SATA
    conroller and plug it into a regular molex power connector, just as always.

    The other choice will be a USB hard drive enclosure which will have its own
    power adapter and plug into surge suppressor. With this type of enclosure,
    the hard drive will work with your computer as an external USB hard drive.

    Patty

    Patty, Nov 16, 2008