Hard drive on a Gateway Solo 2500 Notebook

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rich, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I picked up this notebook in exchange for some work I did for a women who is
    divorced. Her name is on the notebook with the place she bought it from, so
    I don't think it is stolen. Before her husband divorced her he put a
    password on the harddrive and the notebook was rendered unusable. I build
    and
    fix PCs so I thought no problem, I'll reset the bios and I'll have access to
    the drive. No luck after resetting and according to what I have read it is
    impossible to fix
    without using an EPROM to reprogram the bios or get a new motherboard. Can I
    just get a replacement drive or will the password write itself to the hard
    drive like did to the last one? Has anyone dealt with this problem before? I
    tried to search deja and google and there were no answers there. In the bios
    it says if you forget the password the drive will have to be replaced. I
    don't want to spend money for a drive if it won't fix the problem.I just
    flashed the bios
    and the password remains.
    Thanks for any further info. Remove the x from my email address to reply by
    email
    or just reply in the group.

    Rich, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Rich

    Shep© Guest

    What if you remove the CMOS battery and short the contacts?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email

    Shep©, Oct 19, 2003