Hard drive filled to absolute brim, then suddenly freed up a frightening amount of space.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by keon.starfire, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. I use Windows XP Home SP2.

    I was stupidly opening a very large MP3 file in Audacity, and it was
    of course decompressing all of the data to my C:\ drive. Being that I
    only had a few gigabytes remaining on said drive to begin with, the
    hard drive filled up with the temp files Audacity was creating. And
    when I say filled, I mean to the brim -- it had 220 KB left, warned me
    several times in quick succession that the disk was filling/full,
    before Audacity finally stopped the decompression.

    After this point, the hard drive began massively freeing up space, and
    ended at something like 17 GB remaining, less than a minute later.
    The Audacity temp files were still stored on the hard drive, meaning
    they were not removed in this massive freeing up of space. My
    question is, in dire circumstances such as this, what order does
    Windows remove things in? It reduces cache size first, but then
    what? Is there a chance that any personal files were lost, or is
    Windows smart enough to not let this happen? I mainly just need peace
    of mind here (if applicable); not help recovering any files if they
    may have been lost.

    By the way, I do not defragment as often as I should. Not sure if
    knowing this info helps.

    Finally, don't be afraid to use tech talk... I'm pretty well-versed in
    computers, but just not THIS particular area. Thanks much for your
    help.

    KS.

    keon.starfire, Apr 4, 2007

  2. keon.starfire

    Pennywise Guest

    You should of been given a choice as to what to have removed, and they
    are all TEMP files.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_cleanup_utility.htm

    Pennywise, Apr 4, 2007

  3. I didn't go through the Disk Clean-up wizard, however I do think I
    found out what was purged: everything slated for potential system
    restore. That would make perfect sense, as the amount of space
    cleared up happens to be synonymous with the size of my reserved space
    for system restore. Luckily, I have no use for that and may just
    disable that option now.

    Thank you for your help.

    KS

    keon.starfire, Apr 4, 2007
  4. keon.starfire

    Pennywise Guest

    I have always had my restore turned off.
    I use ERUNT instead

    Takes up very little space and can be accessed when your system won't
    start, where restore has to have a working OS.

    Now would also be a good time to back up anything you might miss if
    deleted.

    Pennywise, Apr 4, 2007
  5. keon.starfire

    Billh Guest

    You might not want to turn it off you never know when it will save your
    butt. You can clean up the restore points by running the Disk Clean-up
    wizard when it offers up what you want to delete go to the more options tabs
    and there is a section there that lets you delete all but your last restore
    points.

    Billh, Apr 5, 2007