    How can I shield this RF? Should I need to earth any shield
    device I might put around the disk?

    Any thoughts welcome...

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Use foil-wrapped cable. That's where the shit is being radiated from.

    And thread it through a RF choke or 2.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Hi there,

    I've got the 40-way ribbon and a 4 way power hanging out the arse of
    the Atari, so I'll try wrapping them in foil? I'll try a small foil
    wrapped box for the drive itself, since I don't want that getting
    too dusty...

    Cheers...

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Chris Wilkinson

    Brendan Guest

    Cut a hole in an old cake tin, earth the tin and make it meet up with the
    back of the atari ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    Holly: The North Western Electricity Board. They want you Dave.
    Lister: Me ? Why, what for ?
    Holly: For your crimes against Humanity.
    Lister: You what ?!
    Holly: Seems when you left Earth 3 million years ago, you left two half
    eaten German sausages on a plate in your kitchen.
    Lister: Did I ?
    Holly: You know what happens to sausages left unattended for 3 million
    years ?
    Lister: Yeah, they go mouldy.
    Holly: Your sausages, Dave, now cover seven eighths of the Earth's surface.
    Also you left seventeen pounds fifty pence in your bank account. Thanks to
    compund interest you now own 98% of all the worlds wealth. Because you
    horded it for 3 million years, nobody's got any money except for you and
    Norweb.
    Lister: Why Norweb ?
    Holly: You left a light on in the bathroom... Got a final demand here for
    one hundred and eighty billion pounds.
    Lister: One hundred and eighty billion pound ?! Ya kidding ?
    Holly: April Fool.
    Lister: But it's not April.
    Holly: Yeah I know. But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot joke
    like that under my belt.
    Lister: So you just made it all up then ?
    Holly: Yeah, bit of excitement for a while wasn't it ?

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not
    otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

    Brendan, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Hi there,
    Might give it a try, but I've discovered that the RF being picked up is
    only being picked up by the headphone/line-out stage, not the line-in
    stage, so it doesn't get recorded...phew! Once I've recorded the MIDI
    I need I can switch the Atari off and not worry about the RF annoying
    me, cos it surely would after take 23 of my acoustic guitar part being
    bumbled yet again! :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Chris Wilkinson

    Chris Guest

    You could try threading 2 or 3 or more turns of the headphone cable through
    an RF choke at the plug end as it sounds like the headphone cable is acting
    like an aerial.

    Chris, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Chris Wilkinson

    Brendan Guest

    Woger suggests you stick the drive on the end of a 12 meter cable and sit
    it outside. Apparently it'll be cooler also ;)

    Brendan, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Hi there,
    After experimenting I've found the best way to shield the disk is to
    grab the sucker in my hand. Only problem is that one-handed guitar
    is not for beginners or genii alike... :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 23, 2003