    up and running.
    Any suggestions?

    Cheers.

    H, Jul 18, 2005

  2. H

    code_wrong Guest

    this is worth a read:
    http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/cw_boot_toot.htm

    code_wrong, Jul 18, 2005

  3. H

    Dave Lear Guest

    First one would be to have a read of this...

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    Dave Lear, Jul 19, 2005
  4. H

    Ron Martell Guest

    What sort of error message or other information are you getting that
    tells you for a certainty that it is a corrupt hard disk and not some
    other problem?

    If you are getting an Unmountable_Boot_Volume error (STOP 0x000000ed)
    and if the second parameter value for the STOP code is 0xC0000032 then
    you are correct that there is data corruption on the hard drive. In
    this specific case the correct fix is to boot to the Windows XP
    Recovery Console and then enter the following command:

    CHKDSK C: /R

    That should repair the problem, if the error message is as I
    described.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Jul 19, 2005
  5. H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    If someone is having trouble with a hard drive, it's best *not* to install
    the Recovery Console, but to run it from the XP setup CD.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 20, 2005
  6. H

    Dave Lear Guest

    <quote from article I hyperlinked to>

    If you cannot start your computer, you can run the Recovery Console from the
    Microsoft Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM. This article
    describes how to perform this task.

    </quote from article I hyperlinked to>

    Dave Lear, Jul 20, 2005
  7. He just said that.

    Top

    Top (retired), Jul 20, 2005
  8. H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    True. I merely wanted to stress that *installing* the recovery console could
    possibly damage the HD further. Run it from the CD, get the system running,
    *then* install the recovery console.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 21, 2005