    wannaBz....
    If you don't even know how to set up your machine for a new OS, there's no
    way in HELL that you even NEED a 64-bit OS!!!

    Draco Paladine, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Hi Draco,

    You're just telling him what I'm thinking for 2 days now....

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Guest

    Rick Guest

    If I remember correctly, an observation like this was posted here last
    month and the poster was slammed for not being patient with the neophyte.

    Rick, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am having about the same problem. I have been building my own computers
    for more then 15 years.

    I currently have computer running a AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz (12 Asus A8V
    Deluxe) with a VIA K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer 3648 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    My video card is a RADEON X800 Series (256 MB)
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller with SCSI/RAID VIA Serial ATA RAID Controll,
    WinXP Promise SATA378, floppy, and two SDC WD25 00JD-00HBBOSCSI Drives (2
    layer DVD read/write 16 speed.

    I think this is the type information you was trying to get from the other
    person.

    I am currently running Windows XP Pro 32 bit with service pack 2.

    When I boot to my CD/DVD I F6 as required with my floppy driver disk. After
    booting to the CD, then doing the F6, and loading the drivers as required I
    get a message telling me that the drivers from my A8V disc are not compatable
    with the current windows 64 bit program. Because of this it can not find my
    SATA hard drives. I have gone to the Asus web page and down loaded the
    latest drivers.. in fact all the drives I could find and have used them to
    make different floppy's. I still get the same error code. Yet when I go
    back and try to install the 32 bit version it has no problem locating the
    hard drives with the original floppy disc I had.

    I thought I may have had a glitch in the 64 bit down load I did and made two
    additional down loads on 2 different dates and made install CD's from those
    and have also tried running those .. with the same results. Any Ideal where
    I may find or get the correct drivers to load the bata 64 bit windows XP Pro?

    Thanks for your time.

    Guest, Jun 19, 2005
  7. The Promise SATA378 only works in IDE mode currently.

    You have to set the BIOS settings to IDE, and load the ATA version of the
    drivers.

    This will let x64 see the drives in IDE mode as two separate drives, but
    it will not let you use them in a RAID array.

    I really hope this issue will be resolved soon, it's REALLY annoying.

    Julian Lord [PROneTworks], Jun 19, 2005
  8. No, it's the contrary. Promise drivers for sata in IDE are not available,
    you can't you it with x64. This is John's (and my) problem from the very
    begining. But you can use the promise raid with the x64 available drivers,
    no problem. The via drivers are better, if you aks me, but you can make a
    raid with the promise connectors.

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 19, 2005
  9. 1.) Don't get your drivers from the Asus site yet. Last I checked, they
    weren't ready.
    2.) If you're using your drives in SATA mode, as opposed to RAID mode, use
    the VIA controller. NOT the Promise.
    3.) Download the drivers for the VIA controller from www.viaarena.com or
    www.planetamd64.com
    4.) If doing RAID, you can use either controller. Promise drivers from
    www.planetamd64.com
    5.) Make sure you get the x64 Edition drivers onto the F6 floppy. The 32-bit
    ones will give the error you've described.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 19, 2005
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Julian,

    I already know that I had to have my BIOS set to IDE and that I had to load
    the ATA version of the drivers. That is what I did. But again it is telling
    me that the 64 bit drivers are not compatable with the 64 bit drivers I am
    currently using. I am only assuming that there is some kind of conflict
    between the drivers on my floppy that work perfectly with the 32 bit XP pro
    program and the 64 bit drivers for the 64 bit XP Pro install program. Is
    there more then one version of the 64 bit bata program for the different
    types of CPU's?

    Chuck

    Guest, Jun 19, 2005
  11. I am only assuming
    No, your drivers that work for 32-bit won't work for x64 Edition. You need

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 19, 2005
  12. Guest

    DKI Guest

    The promise 20378 (Promise FastTrak 378) can be IDE and raided and the
    drivers do work with IDE raid.

    I have 2 sata drives on raid with the VIA chipset and 2 IDE drives on raid
    with the promise chipset, most VIA chipset based mobos i seen have both the
    Promise 20378 chipset and VIA 8237 Chipset and the drivers for me do work
    BOTH PROMISE AND VIA's ON X64 (the device is labled scsi as show below in
    the driver but works on IDE)

    PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373.DeviceDesc="Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller
    (AMD64)"
    ;Promise_Raid_ControllerDesc= "Win Server 2003 Promise RAID Console SCSI
    Processor Device"

    Oh and i find the planet amd 64 ones don't work but the ones from promise in
    downloads under the device name FastTrak S150 TX4 the X64 beta drivers
    contain the information for the 20378 (Promise FastTrak 378) chipset as well
    as a few others

    DKI, Jun 20, 2005
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi, I have an alienware aurora with an AMD 64 bit FX processor and am trying
    to install the new windows x64 and get the same thing, no hard disk detected,
    please exit setup after the third step. What drivers do I need to install at
    the F6 command, how is it done and where do I get them? It is RAID as well.

    Guest, Jun 20, 2005
  14. Guest

    Rick Guest

    I have absolutely no idea what an alienware aurora is, but if you don't
    have the necessary SATA drivers on a floppy to use when prompted, your
    SATA drive(s) will never be recognized during installation!

    What SATA chip, or chips, are on your board? If you have more than one
    SATA chip, which one is/are your hard drive(s) connected to? Are they,
    or are they not, in a RAID configuration? When you figure that out, you
    will have about half the problem solved.

    Rick, Jun 21, 2005
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Me too! i have a Maxtor 80GB SATA . Pentium 4 630 3.0Ghz with EM64T .. I
    don't know what happen .. It keep saying that " Hard Disk Not Detected "
    ...WHY ??

    Guest, Jun 25, 2005
  16. Guest

    warpsix Guest

    you need to find out which controller you have for your sata and get the
    drivers (planetamd.com)then push f6 when you start the install.i know
    your not running a raid but it is treated the same way. some boards
    don't need that, but if your getting that message yours is not one of them

    warpsix, Jun 25, 2005
  17. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Not necessarily. With SATA II drives from some manufacturers, with the raid
    drivers and the controller driver installed at f6, or without them, it comes
    back from the text boot to the GUI and cannot find the drives. Hitachi
    seems to be aware of the problem and is working with the Nvidia to get
    drivers that will work. SATA I drives seem to work fine.

    John Barnes, Jun 26, 2005
  18. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hey i have a Soltek Sl-k8AV2-R / K8AV2-RL Socket 754 mainboard runninng an
    AMD64 3400+ at 2.54 MHz with a Western Digital Raptor SATA hard drive.

    My problem is I cant seem to find a driver to install my hard drive on a 64
    bit system, everytime i try to install windows even with my flobby disk of
    drivers i keep getting " Hard disk not detected."

    Can anyone help?

    Guest, Jun 27, 2005
  19. Guest

    Rick Guest

    Is it possible for you to give some information about your board? What
    chipset does it have? What SATA controller?

    I tried looking the information up, but the Soltek site seems to be
    unavailable to get specifications.

    Rick, Jun 27, 2005
  20. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you Rick for trying to help, but i stumbled across a web site that
    fixxed my hard drive woes: http://www.planetamd64.com/
    Just resister and they have many drivers that might fix your problem.

    Guest, Jun 28, 2005