    try to fix a problem without giving us the informaton we need to actually
    help you. That's frustrating for both parties. Using a random shotgun
    approach to troubleshooting is something I'm simply not willing to do.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005

  2. Heck, just try READING the stuff that flashes by on the screen as it boots.
    If there's a VIA controller in there, it should say what it's model is, or at
    least what it's "friendly name" is.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Okay ill do my research, but will all my files erase when installing the 64
    bit version of Windows??

    Guest, Jun 12, 2005
  4. Mitz,

    look at http://spaces.msn.com/members/conway/ or many other existing threads
    in this newsgroup that have already answered this question. And by the way,
    listen to Charlie. Listen, listen and learn. Calm down and take it easy.
    You'll learn a lot more that way. Trust me.

    Steve

    Steve Thompson, Jun 12, 2005
  5. Yes, upgrade is not possible.
    I recommand a dual boot if your disks are partitionned or if you have two
    disks...

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 12, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Okay now i just need some striaght answers because to many big words confuse
    me.
    Simple YES/NO q's:

    1) Can i install Windows XP (32bit) after my trial finshes?
    2) Does it format my hard drive when installing 64-Bit Windows?

    Guest, Jun 12, 2005
  7. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Simple answer. Do your research. Yes you can reinstall XP when your trial
    finishes. Yes you have to format the drive when installing.
    As has been suggested over and over, partition your drive and dual boot or
    Charlie suggested a $10 drive from eBay and you could install it there and
    leave your XP Pro alone. Remove your current drive, install the new one and
    install x64 or leave it and install to the new one and dual boot.
    If you don't know about the other equipment, you won't know what has 64-bit
    drivers.
    My guess is you are going to have way too much trouble with x64 and advise
    strongly you keep your old system intact, unplug the drive and install a new
    one so you can go
    back with no mess.
    Just my advice. Seems like a lot of people feel the same, so take it or
    leave it.

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005
  8. Hello John,

    I have 2 problems with your post.

    1. You should have used all caps. Or better yet HTML with bold, caps and
    underline. :>)
    2. Charlie's suggestion about the $10.00 HD was a reply to a thread I had
    posted earlier. But good advice nontheless. ;>)

    Steve

    Steve Thompson, Jun 12, 2005
  9. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    The real problem is a $10 drive on eBay costs about $50 with shipping and
    you can buy a new one for $60 from NewEgg. Thanks for the humor. :)

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005
  10. Shipping on eBay for a drive shouldn't run over about $10-15 bucks, but yes,
    I get your point. And you can probably find a cheap ~10GB drive at a local
    swap meet for party favour prices.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005
  11. :)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005
  12. Does it matter? You should always assume that the net result of installing an
    operating system is a total wipe of your HD. Seriously. So be prepared and do
    a backup.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005
  13. Guest

    Rick Guest

    If you install Win x64 properly, yes. It will wipe everything you
    currently have on your hard drive because when installing Win x64 you
    are supposed to re-format you hard drive.

    Rick, Jun 12, 2005
  14. Guest

    Rick Guest

    On. If you want everything to function correctly, install XP 32 bit
    first on a separate partition.
    Yes, if you install it correctly.

    Rick, Jun 12, 2005
  15. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  17. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005
  18. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Okay, im going to install it on a external hard drive thats about 150GB.

    Guest, Jun 13, 2005
  19. Guest

    John Guest

    Mitz

    Adding an external drive just complicates your problem. If this is your
    decision you need to make sure that your motherboard supports booting from
    the external drive.
    Installation of an internal drive to your IDE controller is the easiest way
    to go and problably the cheapest.

    Good luck

    John

    John, Jun 13, 2005
  20. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree, except I would advise you stay with SATA since that is the way you
    are set up. If you don't have an extra bay, replace the current drive with
    the new one and install. If you have two bays, install the new drive and
    unplug the connections (power supply and data) from the current drive and
    use on the new drive. For you I don't recommend a dual boot at this time.
    Just my opinion and good luck.

    John Barnes, Jun 13, 2005