    recovery" and got back all the photos

    thanks to everyone for the suggestions

    http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

    Tama Mativa, May 22, 2004

  2. Tama Mativa

    Beck Guest

    After you accidentally formatted the card, did you take more photos to it,
    then try and recover the photos?
    Just curious as to how deep the program is able to recover programs, and
    whether it can recover AFTER the card has been written to.

    Beck, May 22, 2004

  3. Tama Mativa

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Keep that program handy, it will probably happen again.....

    Ron Hunter, May 22, 2004
  4. Tama Mativa

    Bill Funk Guest

    I've used ZA on several cards...
    It's like any other consumer file recovery utility in that it's not
    going to recover overwritten files.
    If the file is intact, there's a good chance ZA will recover it, even
    after a format.

    I haven't seen any consumer products that will recover overwritten
    files. Has anyone?

    Bill Funk, May 22, 2004
  5. Tama Mativa

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Well, I've used csplit/... unix tools to do it.
    If the camera does not store as fragmented files (as most do not)
    then by simply splitting a copy of the raw device into files every time
    you see something that looks like the start of a jpeg works well.

    Ian Stirling, May 22, 2004
  6. Tama Mativa

    Bill Funk Guest

    I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.
    More precisely, what does "raw device" refer to?

    Bill Funk, May 23, 2004
  7. Tama Mativa

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Sorry.
    Most flash devices are arranged as a linear collection of 512 byte
    sectors.
    If you simply read all the sectors in sequence without taking account of
    the filesystem, then you get a raw image of the device.
    This isn't particularly useful in general, as you want to store more
    than one file on the device, and know where it is.
    So, this raw device is formatted in a certain way (FAT, ...) which
    tells you where the files are.
    However, even lacking this information, most devices if starting
    from a freshly formatted filesystem (or turned off after deleting files)
    will start to write files in continuous blocks, one after the other.

    If you split the copy of the raw device at the points where the sequence
    of bytes indicates a new file (for example GIF files begin with
    GIF89a (or similar)) then you can recover most of the pictures.

    If files are individulaly deleted, this causes problems, as then if
    more are taken, the new file will go into the gap left, with
    bits left over going somewhere else, so this new file cannot easily
    now be recovered this way.

    Ian Stirling, May 23, 2004
  8. Tama Mativa

    Bill Funk Guest

    Ah, OK. Thanks.
    But I was thinking of *overwritten* files.

    Bill Funk, May 23, 2004
  9. Tama Mativa

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Sigh.
    Sorry.
    I really should read posts.
    It may be in theory possible, but you'r looking at an investment of
    at least several hundred thousand dollars.
    You need to open the flash chip, and probe the read amplifiers for
    each channel, so that you can read out the (more or less) raw output,
    and then try to recover the original file from the residue left after
    the chip erases the file.
    You'r probably looking at tend of thousands to even say with any
    degree of likelyhood if it's possible at all for any given card.

    For cards that are just formatted, without wiping the data area, and
    the file is not overwritten, it's a whole lot simpler.
    (even if the file is fragmented, it can be recovered, but with more
    difficulty)

    Ian Stirling, May 24, 2004
  10. Tama Mativa

    Bill Funk Guest

    Happens to all of us. :)
    That's what I tell people who want to know how to wipe their hard
    drives so that they can sell them without letting everyone know their
    sebsitive data.
    Just wipe it once; unless you have stuff the Feds want to know about,
    no one else has the wherewithall to read it after it's been
    overwritten. Certainly not that dweeb who buys your used drive.
    (Aplologies to the dweebs who may be reading!)
    It's not difficult to recover *erased* files (as WIndows erases
    files); overwritten files are another thing entirely.
    As far as I know, the only format that overwrites data is the format
    done by floppy drives.
    For hard drives (and, by extension, all removable drives), even a long
    format doesn't overwrite files.

    Bill Funk, May 24, 2004