Happy Christmas!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello Everyone.

    Just popped in to say HAPPY CHRISTMAS to everyone.

    I've managed to get my new PC up and running now.

    I was a complete dufus because I forgot to put the heat sink compound
    on that's why it kept shutting down with an alarm.

    I just have another slight slight problem now though.

    My Modem is a USB one. I need to connect to the internet with the
    computer to be able to download the USB2 drivers that will make the
    USB ports on my computer work. That's a definite catch 22 that. :)

    I did try using my old system, but that's Win98, and Windows Update
    isn't going to download XP when it does it's scan. Also because my
    modem is only 56k, it would take forever to download the 30MB express
    SP1 file. I'm not really sure what I can do to get this service pack
    with the USB drivers. It would be good if you could just download the
    part you need instead of the whole pack :(

    I'm really happy with my new system, it loads up in 30 seconds. It
    will take me a while to get used to the XP layout though.

    Anyway, Happy Christmas everyone.

    John

    John, Dec 25, 2003

  2. John

    joaquino Guest

    if your motherboard supports usb 2 then the drivers will be on the driver
    cd-rom that came with the board. If your computer has usb then Windows
    should recognize usb ports as usb 1, make sure you have enabled usb support
    in your bios then manually add usb. I don't know anything about winxp, but
    you may have to reload windows to have usb ports detected. Once you have
    usb1 going you may load usb2 drivers.

    you shouldn't have to connect to the internet to get your ports running and
    can most likely figure it out on your own. anybody have anything else to
    add?

    joaquino, Dec 26, 2003