    sure what type of questions I may have in the test. I would like to be
    prepared.

    What do you suggest?

    gmanon, Feb 2, 2004

  2. If you're in the UK look in local technical colleges for City & Guilds
    courses in basic electronics. Teaches you the basics both theory and
    practical. Electronics is difficult to learn just from a book.

    Kenny Cargill, Feb 2, 2004

  3. gmanon

    gmanon Guest

    I live in New York, but anyway. You gave me an idea. I would check on
    physics text book for high school students, they usually cover the
    fundamentals of electronics.

    gmanon, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Kenny Cargill, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any electricity-based topics
    that you need to know in any depth for the A+...unless it's changed
    since I last checked the CompTIA outline. ESD and testing power supply
    voltages are the only things that enter my mind. Maybe things have
    changed?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 3, 2004
  6. gmanon

    RussS Guest

    Nope Tom - dead on the money.

    Oh, plus knowing the voltages from power supplies.

    RussS, Feb 4, 2004
  7. gmanon

    gmanon Guest

    Most of the sample test I've taken don't have much on power supplies,
    transistors, or capacitors, but some do. For you guys this may be so
    elementary that you won't even notice it. And I believe it is, but I
    never care about electronics, not one bit. I always thought that was
    only for guys.

    gmanon, Feb 4, 2004
  8. gmanon

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Buy a couple of multimeters (one digital and one analog) and learn the
    basics of how to use them.

    Find something electrical that is broken and try to find the flaw with the
    multimeter, even if it is just a table lamp. For instance, is it a wire
    open, or shorted to ground or the switch?

    Subscribe to the following newsgroups:
    sci.electronics.basics
    sci.electronics.repair

    Tony Sivori, Feb 5, 2004
  9. gmanon

    gmanon Guest

    If you were talking to me in person, I would be answering, aha, aha,
    because I don't understand. :eek:

    But thanks a lot, I would try those newsgroups.
    :)

    gmanon, Feb 5, 2004
  10. gmanon

    not me Guest

    Hi

    For some basic instructions and easy to follow diagrams and instructions go
    to www.howstuffworks.com and do a bit of searching on topics you are
    interested in.
    It is quite a good resource site and fun to browse.

    Good Luck

    not me, Feb 5, 2004
  11. gmanon

    Tony Sivori Guest

    So you're *really* clueless about electricity! :) Well, to spell
    it out, a table lamp is very simple. Just two wires and three electrical
    components - and that is counting the light bulb as a component. (the
    other two would be the switch and the socket the bulb screws into).

    To diagnose a lamp with your multimeter, with the lamp UNPLUGGED you'd
    simply use the resistance function on the meter which also serves as a
    deluxe continuity check. If, for example, the meter shows infinite
    resistance in the switch input and outputs - no matter whether the switch
    is on or off - then the switch is defective. The light bulb itself should
    have a certain resistance - you can find out what it should be by checking
    a known good bulb. The wires should have zero resistance, and both wires
    should have infinite resistance in relation to the lamp body.

    But if this kind of thing is beyond you, you might want to check the
    locale library and read the most basic electrical book that you can find.
    Or you can find something similar online. You really don't need to know a
    lot about electricity to pass the A+, but having a basic knowledge of
    things like voltage, grounds, continuity, resistance, and the purpose of
    components like capacitors, resistors, regulators and connectors is very
    helpful for any PC tech.

    Tony Sivori, Feb 5, 2004
  12. gmanon

    gmanon Guest

    Thanks again Tony and Not me,

    I like the website and I would practice to use the multimeter to check
    for resistance and I also would check for an elementary book on electricity.

    Your advice have been very useful so far.

    Thanks a lot :)

    gmanon, Feb 5, 2004
  13. gmanon

    gmanon Guest

    This site definately has all the basics. Excellent!!

    gmanon, Feb 5, 2004
  14. I don't have time to verify these, but they were good the last time I
    had a chance to check them. Pick ones that feature the word
    "beginner". Also, take a close look at the test objectives that apply,
    and concentrate on them. When you need help while you are learning,
    ask specific questions, and be prepared to outline what work you have
    already done; it helps someone to know where to begin with an
    explanation.

    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/g_knott/index1.htm

    http://www.twysted-pair.com/

    http://pneuma.phys.ualberta.ca/~gingrich/phys395/notes/phys395.html

    http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/trinity/elec2.html

    http://www.sweethaven.com/acee/

    http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/ohm/index.html

    http://home.wxs.nl/~heuvelvdg/electronics/schematics.html

    http://www.cabl.com/restaurant/electronics.html

    http://zebu.uoregon.edu/1997/ph161/l2.html

    http://www.electronicstheory.com/

    http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/

    http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/

    http://www.tpub.com/neets/

    http://www.tpub.com/index.htm

    http://pcdi-homestudy.com/courses/el/outline.html

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 5, 2004
  15. gmanon

    gmanon Guest

    You guys are awesome!

    I don't need to buy a electronic book anymore and even less go to an
    institute. You have given me enough links. This is more than what I
    needed.

    Than you.:)

    gmanon, Feb 5, 2004