    If my 2 computer network is half wired and half wireless, do the same
    procedures apply for setting up security, or can I apply security only to
    the wireless side?

    JimL, Dec 25, 2009

  2. Hi
    Wireless has one specific security arrangement that is meant to secure the
    Wireless airborne signal and prevent unauthorized log on through the
    Wireless to your Network.
    In addition, all other security measures, like Firewall, AntiVirus, etc.,
    have to apply to both the Wire, and the Wireless connection.
    Wireless Connection Security.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
    it is Off)
    MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
    easily Spoofed).
    -------------------
    The three above are Not considered safe.
    Safe Starts here at WPA.
    -------------------
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
    to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 26, 2009

  3. JimL

    JimL Guest

    Great thumbnail of wireless security levels. Thanks.

    I have one computer wired to a router port while the other runs wirelessly.
    I _THINK_ maybe you said my wired computer must run a wireless security
    protocol as well as the wireless computer, even though no one can drive by
    my house and tune in wirelessly to my wired computer. Is that correct?

    Or did you say that a wireless computer can not be secured if there is a
    wired computer on the network?

    JimL, Dec 26, 2009
  4. JimL

    JimL Guest

    If y'all don't mind I'd like to get to my actual question.

    "can I apply security only to the wireless side?"

    Perhaps I should reword it.

    "can I apply security to only the wireless side?"

    Or:

    "can I apply security to the wireless side regardless of the wired side?"

    Or:

    "can I apply security WITHIN the wireless connection between the router and
    the wireless computer?"

    I'm not asking about levels of security or additional security, but
    .............. the question in my OP.

    JimL, Dec 26, 2009
  5. Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 26, 2009
  6. JimL

    JimL Guest

    I guess you're pulling my leg, saying you have no idea what wireless
    security is. How can I say it better than wireless. Radio? RF
    frequencies? What does wireless security between a computer and a router
    mean? Very obviously making sure I'm the only one using it. I think
    someone used the word sniffing. You don't know about that? I don't believe
    it. What else would wireless computer security mean but secure
    transmission? What magic word is it you want me to say? You tell _me_ what
    wireless security is. My guess is that it's probably encryption of some
    sort or a thousand sorts, but I'm not a wireless security expert.

    Anti-virus? Firewalls? Get serious. By the most simple logic that applies
    equally to wired connections and I DID make it clear I'm not talking about a
    wired connection. So I don't get your question.

    Back then to my question. Whatever wireless security is, and however many
    varieties it comes in, can you do it to a wireless connection when a wired
    computer (and nothing else) is on the other end of the router. That's what
    I have asked and am asking. A wire is naturally secure unless you have it
    extending into the public place. Can you secure the unsecured (wireless)
    end? I'm sorry but it seems like a simple question to me.

    JimL, Dec 27, 2009
  7. JimL

    JimL Guest

    Thanks.

    I see nothing there about having one wired computer and one wireless
    computer on a router and how to secure the wireless one.

    JimL, Dec 27, 2009
  8. Hi
    My post from the 25th explains the Wireless security.
    That is what is needed to be done with the Wireless regardless of whether
    you have (or do not have) a wire connection too.
    In addition a personal Network (wire, and or Wireless) if used for Internet
    connection, needs to be secured from the Internet too.
    This type of security is done by making sure that each computer (Wire, and
    Wireless) has installed and active, Firewall, AntiVirus, and AntiSpyware
    applications.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 28, 2009
  9. JimL

    JimL Guest

    I quote, "security only to the wireless".

    I call that wireless security.

    JimL, Dec 29, 2009
  10. JimL

    JimL Guest

    OK, I am taking the phrase "to be done with the Wireles" to mean that I can
    turn on WPA or something on only the wireless side and it will work with the
    wired side that way. I had read several statements saying both computers
    had to be set up identically. Apparently that is not true.

    JimL, Dec 29, 2009
  11. JimL

    JimL Guest

    OK, I booted up the computer that is on wireless, went to 192.168.1.1
    (router) and turned on WPA Personal and my wireless connection instantly
    vanished. Upon clicking any icon that previously led to the wired computer
    the error says that computer is not accessable and "The network path was not
    found."

    I went back to the browser and selected 192.168.1.1 again to turn the
    security off. I get an error saying, "Unable to connect," and "Internet
    connection does not seem to be working." Of course by trying 192.168.1.1 I
    was not seeking the internet.

    It seems that asking if I could do this before jumping into it was totally
    useless. I now have no connection between the computers, the wireless
    connected computer now has no internet connection.

    After some sort of delay I was able to get into 192.168.1.1 on the wired
    computer and, after trying WPA2 Personal with the same results, turn off the
    security and now I have networking again but no wireless security.

    This is EXACTLY what I was afraid would happen, which is why I asked about
    doing in the first place. It seems that asking if I could secure the
    wireless connection only was totally useless. Securing the wireless end of
    this two computer network is plainly impossible.

    Thanks

    JimL, Dec 30, 2009
  12. JimL

    JimL Guest