    directory, typed 'copy hal.dll c:\windows\system32\'. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance,

    Denise

    Denise, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Denise

    ICee Guest

    These may help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

    ICee, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Denise

    Denise Guest

    That'd be great, except that he doesn't have an installation CD. Since
    Compaq and HP merged, they don't pack recovery CDs with HP computers (not
    sure if they do the same with Compaqs); they partition off part of the hard
    drive and put the recovery info there--but he can't access the hard drive,
    so he can't access his recovery info. They pack stupid MS Works and Money
    CDs, along with some kind of AOL crap that they say is already installed on
    the computer, but no recovery CD. Why they thought this was a good idea,
    I'd love to know; it looks like it costs them more to fed-ex them to people
    than it would to just simply put them in the box in the first place. I'm
    sure you guys know this better than me--except you all are too smart to buy
    a computer like that.

    But anyway. My friend tried using a dos prompt, but it doesn't work, giving
    him more 'path invalid' messages or something like that. He called HP
    technical support last night; it'll cost him $13 to get his recovery CD sent
    to him, since the computer's out of warranty, and it'll take several days.

    Thank you, and anymore suggestions are very welcome!

    Denise, who stupidly bought the same kind of computer, but put in the order
    for her recovery disk before the warranty expires.

    BTW, great sig, ICee. ;)

    Denise, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Denise

    ICee Guest

    Hi, Denise. Well, that is unfortunate that the recovery CD is not
    included, since it's usually needed when the system is really trashed
    and you can't get to the "backup" on the drive. At least you'll be able
    to get it running when the CD arrives, I'm sure. Glad you like the sig
    :)

    ICee, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Denise

    John Holmes Guest

    ICee came up with this:
    <sniff, sniff>
    Yes, there's a romance in the air...
    ;-)

    John Holmes, Jan 13, 2004
  6. Denise

    ICee Guest

    :-D

    ICee, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Denise

    Denise Guest

    So... whatcha wearin', ICee?

    ;)

    Denise

    Denise, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Denise

    John Holmes Guest

    John Holmes, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Denise, Jan 16, 2004
  10. Denise

    Dave_MAN

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    hal.dll

    Not sure if you still want to know this but it could be good to no for any one else who has this problem.

    What it looks like to me is your friend either deleted boot.ini or modified a part of it(changing 1 letter can stop it from working properly). So he is getting the following error:

    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    Windows\System32\Hal.dll
    This error is tricky because it says the problem is with Hal.dll but the actual problem is with boot.ini.

    For example, i went into cmd promp and to C:\ drive and edited boot.ini. I then changed 1 letter of the code from

    default=multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    dafault=multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

    Only changing 1 letter(e in default to a).
    I restarted and i got the same error with Hal.dll. So i restarted again and went into safe mode with command prompt, went to C:\ and edited boot.ini. Changed the a back to a e and restarted fine.

    Now if you removed the boot.ini, you could have a little harder of a time. Im pretty sure that your system will make a backup of boot.ini in the same folder to something like boot.bkk so if you still have that you can open it, save it as boot.ini and it should start up fine. If it doesn't you will probably have to create a boot.ini and maybe copy the code from another computer with windows XP.

    Moral: check boot.ini not Windows\System32\Hal.dll

    Hope this helped :)

    Dave_MAN, Dec 10, 2007