Guess what? BIG trouble here on Teranews. Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Wereo_SUPREME, Dec 23, 2006.

  1. Hi guys,

    I just posted here praising the glory of being able to post without the Gogg
    after some time. But I've got a new problem now. Perhaps you can do
    something to help...

    Most of what I'm seeing as the newsgroups load up is old dates. Some of the
    ng's are giving me only up til 11/25/06 and 12/02-06, etc...

    Now on THIS particular group it's loading for me from Teranews only til
    12/21/06 2:20PM on the top. When I click and send THIS post I'm pretty sure
    I WON'T be able to see it UNLESS someone replies to it, which I'm hoping one
    of you kind souls will.

    But I'm pretty sure what I post here WILL show up on the Gogg, but it won't
    load up here until someone replies to it, and maybe not even then.

    So that's basically my quandry. What's going to happen for hereon out? Do I
    just wait a couple of hours for the problem to fix itself? I've already
    emailed Teranews about an hour and a half ago telling them of this issue but
    who knows how long they're going to take to get back to me? This is my first
    time on Teranews.

    So what do I do now guys? I have a feeling IF one of you replies to this
    post I'll be able to see it and reply to it. Other than that I'm not getting
    any new threads here.

    Thank you for help and Happy Holidays to all and I'll be able to wish you
    even HAPPIER Holidays once this glitch is resolved! Thanks again, Scott

    Wereo_SUPREME, Dec 23, 2006

  2. Wereo_SUPREME

    Mike Easter Guest

    Wereo_SUPREME wrote:
    Subject: Guess what? BIG trouble here on Teranews. Help!

    I'm reading and posting to free.teranews.com right now. It is working
    just fine. Sometimes it doesn't.
    When things get whacky between your newsreader and a newsserver, there
    are two useful troubleshooting strategies. Reset your pointers for the
    newsserver account and check another, different, newsserver.

    You reset your pointers in OE by selecting the newsgroup in the folder
    view and using File menu/ Properties item/ Local file tab/ Reset
    button - which purges all of the downloaded headers and bodies and
    leaves the folder/newsgroup empty of message headers. Then you have to
    redownload, preferably configured to some xxx headers, and that strategy
    loses your pointers to what you've read and haven't read.

    You check another newsserver by having another account; free, nearly
    free, or cheap non-expiring commercial NSP account.
    Waiting for a free newsservice to help you solve your problem isn't
    likely to happen.

    Mike Easter, Dec 23, 2006

  3. Thaks Mike! Posted above I think I have the problem solved now. I hope
    you're wrong about "Waiting for a free newsservice to help you solve your
    problem isn't likely to happen." lol

    Happy Holidays to you and Everyone!

    Wereo_SUPREME, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Wereo_SUPREME

    Mike Easter Guest

    So, how did you solve it? With the Reset or something else?
    If a newsserver admin is paying attention, s/he knows if something is
    funky with the newsserver or not.

    If something isn't funky with the newsserver, when people email and ask
    for help with something which problem doesn't reside at the newsserver
    itself, they aren't likely to get very much attention. The newsserver
    admin pretty much expects people to do their own troubleshooting -- or
    if something is going on with the newsserver that explains the issue,
    they will ack that.

    Newsserver admins don't do very much hand-holding.

    Mike Easter, Dec 23, 2006
  5. Wereo_SUPREME

    Tester Guest

    Could you please tell me the newsgroups involved? I am on
    free.teranews.com and I know how to use a news server without using a
    news program so I can check whether it's the server or the way you're
    using Outlook Express.

    (by "without a news program" I mean using raw telnet to port 119)

    Tester, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Well of course you can...you're Tester. ;)
    But of course.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 23, 2006