    get the software to install. What could possibly be wrong???

    Thanks,
    Rich

    Guest, Jul 20, 2007

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Is it a User install or a machine install? Are your Users\computers in the
    OU that you have the GPO assigned to? What are you using for the install?
    An MSI or an Exe file? What error is in the Application log on the client
    machine?

    Guest, Jul 20, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Rob,

    Hello, thank you for your reply. The install is a user install. I have a
    lab and I want every computer that logs in with the username lab to get the
    software.

    I have an OU called Lab and the user lab is in that OU. The group policy is
    set in the properties of that OU.

    The install is being done with an MSI file.

    The error in the application log says that it cannot determine the domain or
    computer name. (the specified domain may not exist or cannot be contacted.)
    Group Policy has been aborted.

    I removed and re-added the computer to the domain but that did not help.

    Thanks,
    Rich

    Guest, Jul 20, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Rich,

    Normally that error occurs in the following conditions

    1) DNS is misconfigured and it really can't find the Domain Controller

    For this error, you would run DNS with a forward lookup zone for your
    domain on the DC, and in TCP properties point your DNS settings to it.

    2) You have Require Security signiture on your DC
    (HKLM\SYstem\CCS\Services\Lanmanserver\Parameters) set to a 1 and Enable
    Security Signature (HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Parameters)
    set to a 0 on your client machine.

    Either set enable to a 1 or require to a 0

    In any case, create a new OU with a new group policy and do something easy
    just to make sure that group policy is applying successfully. Remove run
    from the Startmenu is the one I always set. Then if that is working try the
    MSI package for the user. Make sure where you have your install package is
    shared out and available for all users both in Share and NTFS permissions.

    Thanks

    Guest, Jul 21, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Rob,

    Hello, thank you so much for your reply. I should mention before I go any
    further that I'm NOT a network administrator and I know only enough about
    networks and system administration to get me in a lot of trouble. I'm what
    you might call a network administrator's wanna be lackey.

    That being said I tried your suggestions and fortunately no registry changes
    had to be made. I told the XP and VISTA clients the DNS server address and
    the RUN group policy removed the run command from the start menu on both
    clients at the next login.

    So, I tried the software install (Installing Office 2003) and on the next
    login it said it was installing Office but Office is nowhere to be found on
    the computer. I put the office MSI file in my distribution folder, but the
    MSI file is only 5.6MB. Should I copy the rest of the Office install files
    from the CD into the distribution folder.....that makes sense to me for some
    reason and I think I mis-understood the knowledgebase article. What am I
    doing wrong?

    Thanks,
    Rich

    Guest, Jul 23, 2007
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Yes it needs all of the files in order to install. You should have a share
    that it runs from. I believe we have a KB article on what you need for an
    Office install via Group Policy, but I will have to check when I am back in
    the office tomorrow.

    Thanks

    Guest, Jul 23, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Rob,

    I tried everything suggested in this post and still no luck. After making
    the user an Administrator on the local computer and moving all installation
    files to the distribution point still no install. I messed around with the 2
    registry settings you mentioned and even though the computer says it is
    installing the software at login, I'm still seeing the same problem, no
    software is actually installed. I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Rich

    Guest, Jul 25, 2007
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Oh one more thing, the user is a local adminstrator of the box correct?

    Guest, Jul 25, 2007
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jul 25, 2007
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Rob,

    Yes, I looked at that article and the user on the client computer is set as
    a local Administrator on that computer. I blew away my distribution folder
    because I realized that I had 2 folders with the same content and it was a
    waste of server space. Anyway, I then went and edited the GPO and even
    though it said the PRO.MSI file was right in front of me I still physically
    typed in the UNC path. I saved the GPO and logged off the server. When I
    logged into the client I noticed it was taking a little while and then when
    it came up Office was in the start menu and I started up Word just fine. The
    only real change I made was typing in that UNC path.

    My next question is can I use a ZAP file to install software that does not
    use MSI files but rather setup.exe files? I saw a KB article that actually
    gave an example of this and also showed how to write a ZAP file. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Rich

    Guest, Jul 25, 2007
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    No clue on the Zap file, but there is a program on the 2000 server CD that
    will allow you to make MSI packages. It does an Install on one client
    machine and takes the difference in the files/registry settings. I recommend
    it for automated pushes of hotfixes.

    The only thing I can say is try both :)

    Guest, Jul 25, 2007