Group policy not applying with Win2008 server and WinXP SP3 over wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Russell, Aug 4, 2009.

  1. Russell

    Russell Guest

    I have some simple group policies that do things like redirect My Documents,
    create printers and such. I know the GPOs are set up right and linked to
    OU containing computers and users and not filtered and such. Have used all
    the tools like gpresult, gpupdate, netdiag on clients to confirm and
    modeling wizard on 2008 server....

    PROBLEM: When a WinXP SP3 client is connected to WIRED LAN, the GPO applies
    fine. When same WinXP SP3 client is conneted to WIRELESS LAN, GPOs mostly
    fail to apply. Windows is managing the client's wireless connection and
    I'm using simple WPA-PSK. Wireless connectivity to domain printers and
    file shares work fine. There is some message in Event Viewer about not
    being able to find the Domain Controller when booting clients with Wireless
    connectivity, but I do not get that message when booting same client on
    Wired LAN. I've reproduced on multiple clients.

    This problem of GPOs not applying over a Wireless LAN connection only
    started after upgrading from Win2000 DC to Windows 2008 DC. My Active
    Directory is at native 2008 level. Any ideas why Win2008 is not applying
    GPOs to wireless WinXP SP3 clients any longer?

    Thanks,
    Russell Roberts
    Clarksville, TN

    Russell, Aug 4, 2009

  2. Russell

    Russell Guest

    I thought a benefit of Microsoft Software Assurance that our company has
    purchased is that someone from Microsoft would answer my posts to their
    Newsgroups? Still waiting for a response, please.

    Russell, Aug 12, 2009