    Andy Burns Guest

    Sometimes adjacent means within touching distance, othertimes it means
    50 yards away.

    Andy Burns, Aug 25, 2014

  2. Davey

    Davey Guest

    If it also includes 'out of sight', then they may be fibre. But they
    look small. What size are fibre cabinets?

    Davey, Aug 25, 2014

  3. Davey

    Andy Burns Guest

    Andy Burns, Aug 25, 2014
  4. I discovered much the same thing when looking for BT cabinets in my
    area. The locations don't seem to be publicised anywhere, so if you
    want to know what's near you, you'll have to do a bit of detective
    work. (I'm not crazy, by the way. My daughter and partner are thinking
    of moving house, and she's been sending me links to houses or areas
    they're considering, so I've been checking for the sort of internet
    service they might expect).

    You could start with this-

    http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

    which will tell you the ADSL and VDSL speeds (estimated if they're not
    available yet) for any phone number, address or postcode, and will
    also tell you the cabinet number and exchange name.

    You may also find this useful-

    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/postcode-finder

    in order to find the postcode from any address.

    By picking a few sample locations close together you can discern in
    which direction the speed increases, and thereby take a guess roughly
    where the cabinet might be. After that, another couple of suggested
    utilities are Google Street View, and a bicycle.

    That street cabinet map of Basingstoke probably took quite a bit of
    work. Let's call it "reverse engineering".

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 25, 2014
  5. What about any pavement panels nearby? Whatever sort of cables or
    fibres are fed into the box, they'll need to be accessible. The
    markings will tell you who they belong to.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 25, 2014
  6. Davey

    Mark Carver Guest

    Mark Carver, Aug 25, 2014
  7. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Yes, indeed. I think I'll wait a few days, and then they might have
    some stickers, etc, and even somebody working on them.
    One of them was preceded by markings on the road, showing some sort of
    approach (that's the one that blocks half the pavement), the other one
    was installed more recently, and I only saw it from the car. There is
    supposed to be an old cabinet way behind it, the other side of
    somebody's private flower bed, but I've never seen it.

    Davey, Aug 25, 2014
  8. Is there some webpage that shows the location of BT cabinets?

    CodeLook includes a broadband checker against localities/exchanges and post
    codes. For localities, you can list all the cabinets on an exchange (and
    how many premises covered), and for each cabinet all the post codes served,
    on a map.

    http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

    There are maps that show all the cabinets and exchange circuits on each
    exchange, but the precise location of cabinets is restricted information so
    CodeLook guesses a post code.

    There are various local projects that list precise locations of a few
    cabinets, but only a fraction of the 124,000 (including exchange circuits),
    and coating the information would be a nightmare.

    Angus

    Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd, Aug 25, 2014
  9. Davey

    Davey Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:38 +0100 (BST)
    Thanks. That shows me the main exchange, which is not far from one of
    these cabinets.
    And it also shows that we are due fibre next month! That's a bit sooner
    than 2015, the last official date.

    BT's checker is now showing "within 6 months".

    Davey, Aug 25, 2014
  10. Interesting stuff, but it's bizarre that the locations of the cabinets
    are "restricted", considering that they're great big green boxes
    standing in the street and visible to all who care to look, and
    clearly identified by numbers painted on the side. They're not even
    fuzzified on Google Street View like rich people's houses.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 25, 2014
  11. Davey

    Jono Guest

    Why would it be early?

    It'll be a year or more after the box is done before you can order FTTC
    :-\

    Jono, Aug 25, 2014
  12. Davey

    Davey Guest

    That's so you can't programme your robot helicopter to go directly to it
    and, er, umm....... yes, why would you care anyway? Probably something
    to do with the Data Protection Act, or something.

    Davey, Aug 25, 2014
  13. Davey

    Jim Guest

    The cabinets need planning permission, so your local council will
    have address details. The applications often appear in my local
    paper some months before installation. If I enter "Openreach" in the
    Applicant search field for my council's planning site, it lists 35
    applications, all with very precise address details, including site
    plans.

    Jim, Aug 26, 2014
  14. Davey

    Andy Burns Guest

    Also if your council supplies info to roadworks.org that can alert you
    to BT work related to the cabinets and ducts.

    Andy Burns, Aug 26, 2014
  15. but it's bizarre that the locations of the cabinets
    The original boxes are relatively anonymous, but the expensive new FTTC
    cabinets mostly have posters advertising BT Infinity, so everyone knows
    what they are.

    Angus

    Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd, Aug 26, 2014
  16. That's useful to know, though I wouldn't expect it to show details of
    all existing cabinets, just the ones where work is pending or
    imminent, or am I wrong about that? Must take a look.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 26, 2014
  17. I suppose that would be the same Data Protection Act that obliges call
    centres to verify the identity of callers as registered account
    holders before performing account related operations like changing
    passwords, or discussing account details? This in spite of the fact
    that some of the companies that operate British call centres also
    operate them in foreign countries where it is difficult to see how
    British laws could apply?

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 26, 2014
  18. Davey

    Andy Burns Guest

    That's right, can be a couple of months in advance, lots of boring stuff
    like water meters being fitted and gas services replaced.

    Andy Burns, Aug 26, 2014
  19. Davey

    Davey Guest

    I see no response to 'Openreach' on my council's site, nor if I enter
    the postcode for any applications.

    Davey, Aug 26, 2014
  20. Davey

    Davey Guest

    That mentions one of them, with work due today. There is a huge BT Ref.
    No. mentioned.

    Davey, Aug 26, 2014