Gravity (theory)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. I believe that's the first question you ever answered that didn't
    include "use Knoppix" in the answer.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 15, 2005

  2. philo

    fkasner Guest

    I think the inclination is more likely to be 23 deg 27 minutes not 23
    degrees 27 seconds.
    FK

    fkasner, Aug 15, 2005

  3. philo

    fkasner Guest

    The laws are dependent on which approximation you use. As James Franck
    told me (he got that from his buddy Einstein) that 99.9 % of the
    universe is explicable in terms of Newtonian Mechanics, And 99.9 % of
    the remainder is explicable in terms of Quantum Mechanics, and 99.9% of
    the remainder is explicable in terms of Relativistic Mechanics.
    FK

    fkasner, Aug 15, 2005
  4. philo

    kenny Guest

    what you say is harnessing the effects of gravity, not the gravity wave
    itself.
    You are not producing a new gravity field.

    kenny, Aug 15, 2005
  5. philo

    fkasner Guest

    Wrong. Your comments about light are true only if it is traveling in a
    vacuum. If it is traveling in a real medium everything changes since the
    speed of light is less than in a vacuum.
    FK

    fkasner, Aug 15, 2005
  6. As Why? said, you were doing reasonably well, then you went off the
    kook-o-meter's scale. I liked the way Carl Sagan gave his opinion of
    UFO's. He said think of the sheer scale of the project to design, build,
    operate and deploy spaceships from other solar systems or even galaxies
    to come to Earth. And for what purpose? To abduct Gomer Pyle from the
    river bank to study his genitals and then let him go. (Okay, maybe I
    took liberties with the last sentence.)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 15, 2005
  7. philo

    kenny Guest

    Carl Sagan was a good scientist... but he was limited.
    He had scotomas.
    He had no imagination.
    Imagination makes a Great scientist.
    Einstein knew that, and stated that imagination is more important than
    knowledge.

    kenny, Aug 15, 2005
  8. philo

    kenny Guest

    There is only one truth. The laws of physics, all of them do not change with
    speed.

    kenny, Aug 15, 2005
  9. philo

    Maybe Guest

    Who are these guys: Kenny and fkasner? And why do they think anybody
    gives a shit!

    Maybe, Aug 15, 2005
  10. philo

    kenny Guest

    We are aliens... so shut up before we abduct you and use an anal probe on
    you.

    kenny, Aug 15, 2005
  11. philo

    philo Guest

    hey...nice to hear from you...
    even though my idea was pretty nutty i guess...
    it was prob. no nuttier than those who are looking for gravitrons!

    philo, Aug 15, 2005
  12. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Hog wash!

    Old Gringo, Aug 15, 2005
  13. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Hog Wash!

    Old Gringo, Aug 15, 2005
  14. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    What are the increments of measure used to determine the the
    difference between the first floor and the second floor.

    Old Gringo, Aug 15, 2005
  15. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    You will have to argue with University Corporation for Atmospheric
    Research on that one. I don't know shit about it.

    Old Gringo, Aug 15, 2005
  16. philo

    FML Guest

    "Light from the car travels at light speed relative to the car and
    relative to a hitchhiker walking along the road, watching the speeding
    car go by. Light travels at light speed with respect to any frame of
    reference. The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant. That’s an
    absolute."

    (courtesy of Wonderquest:
    <http://www.wonderquest.com/quaking-birds-sinking-balloons-speeding-cars.htm#speeding-cars>

    FML, Aug 15, 2005
  17. philo

    Pennywise Guest

    |>[email protected] wrote:
    |>> if you were to build a ship that could travel the speed of light what would
    |>> happen if you turned the headlights on???

    |>"Light from the car travels at light speed relative to the car and
    |>relative to a hitchhiker walking along the road, watching the speeding
    |>car go by. Light travels at light speed with respect to any frame of
    |>reference. The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant. That?s an
    |>absolute."
    |>
    |>(courtesy of Wonderquest:
    |><http://www.wonderquest.com/quaking-birds-sinking-balloons-speeding-cars.htm#speeding-cars>

    Light in a Medium (not a vacuum):
    Cherenkov radiation is electromagnetic radiation emitted when a
    charged particle passes through an insulator at a speed greater than
    that of light in the medium.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_effect

    I've seen this, after dumping the fuel from the reactor we would turn
    off the lights to watch this, it's very pretty; and downright cool.

    Pennywise, Aug 15, 2005
  18. philo

    Unk Guest

    I believe that was 'Macroscope' by Piers Anthony.

    Unk, Aug 15, 2005
  19. philo

    Scraggy Guest

    1 & 2

    Scraggy, Aug 15, 2005
  20. philo

    phrogee Guest

    Wrong! The speed of light can actually be speeded up by passing it thru
    certain mediums.

    phrogee, Aug 15, 2005