Gravity (theory)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
    year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.

    It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton".

    I always figured it was some type of really *dumb* idea.

    Then it occured to me what gravity really is:

    We are *not* pulled toward massive objects...
    we are *pushed* !

    If I jump up into the air...
    the earth does not pull me toward it...
    merely the billions of particles traveling thru the universe
    (most of which we have not even detected) merely *push* me back toward
    the earth.

    Since the particles travel uniformly in all directions...
    were one out in space far away from any massive object...
    the net force would be zero...

    But near the surface of the earth... the huge mass of the earth would
    block those *pushing* from the other side...and thus my body would be
    pushed
    back to the earth.

    Think about it...

    BTW: when the genious awards are passed out...
    I want to receive full credit...so will now sign off using my full
    pseudonym.

    Philo T. Ogden

    philo, Aug 14, 2005

  2. philo

    Maybe Guest

    You're absolutely correct! I.e.,you're *absolutely* a hopeless nutcase.

    Maybe, Aug 14, 2005

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    yeah...that's what i was afraid of

    philo, Aug 14, 2005
  4. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    aah...glad to see there are other "nutty" folks out there :)

    btw: my signature above is my *real* pseudonym...(it's not one of those
    fake ones)

    philo, Aug 14, 2005
  5. philo

    aleX Guest

    Interesting (a lovely ambiguous word that!)

    Reminds me of the theory that I read about where if you could build a
    big enough telescope you could look back at the earth and see its past
    history.

    Photons hit the earth and are reflected back into space, some of which
    are deflected on their paths when affected by the gravitation of other
    planets/stars. If they are subsequently deflected enough times then
    eventually they may start heading back to earth. That's when you need
    your big telescope. Capture the photons, do a bit of supercomputer image
    analysis and voila! Similar theory using a radio telescope.

    Someone will spoil it now by saying you need a telescope the size of the
    milky way galaxy. Not my theory by the way, but interesting. There may
    be hope yet for recovering those lost Dr Who episodes!

    aleX, Aug 14, 2005
  6. Not bad. Just get a jar and fill it with gravitons and submit them to
    the American Scientist people. Maybe you can explain another one for me.
    Light appears to be traveling at 186,000 miles per second. That's
    regardless of how fast you are traveling, relative your observance,
    light still appears to be traveling at 186,000 miles per second. What if
    I were traveling at 185,000 miles per second? According to scientists,
    it would still appear to be traveling at the same speed. But if I'm
    traveling at 185,000 miles per second and light appears to be 186,000
    miles per second, wouldn't it be breaking one of the basic tenets that
    nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 14, 2005
  7. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    The first guy got hit in the head with an apple, and you?? :)

    Old Gringo, Aug 14, 2005
  8. philo

    philo Guest

    yes...
    that never seemed too clear to me either.
    i know einstein is wrong...
    in that all theories are at a later time "improved"
    but it's not going to be me who discovers where he was wrong!

    philo, Aug 14, 2005
  9. Pff, Hollywood have been able to do it for years.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Aug 14, 2005
  10. if you were to build a ship that could travel the speed of light what would
    happen if you turned the headlights on???

    [email protected], Aug 14, 2005
  11. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    I suppose it would be like blowing the horn at the speed of sound. :)

    Old Gringo, Aug 14, 2005
  12. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    PS: At the speed of light you are not going to see much with or
    without headlights.

    Old Gringo, Aug 14, 2005
  13. philo

    philo Guest

    it took more than an apple to cause my brain to get like this...

    prob. a large rock!!!

    philo, Aug 14, 2005
  14. philo

    why? Guest

    <snip>

    My vote is the nutcase.

    Me

    why?, Aug 14, 2005
  15. philo

    old jon Guest

    I like it a lot. <g>.There`s no such a thing as Pull you know, it`s always
    Push. Consider this: Wrap your fingers half way round, say, a buggy handle.
    Apply pressure with your fingers to that opposite side, and voila , the
    buggy moves toward you. You`re actually Pushing the buggy towards yourself.
    I`m as bloody mad as you are. <g>.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Aug 14, 2005

  16. "Real pseudonym" . . . interesting.

    Dennis Turner, Aug 14, 2005
  17. does that go for magnetism too?

    [email protected], Aug 14, 2005
  18. philo

    Pennywise Guest

    |>Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
    |>year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.
    |>
    |>It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton"

    There is no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks.

    Pennywise, Aug 14, 2005
  19. philo

    Old Gringo Guest

    LOL :) All in fun.

    Old Gringo, Aug 14, 2005
  20. philo

    7 Guest

    Does not compute.
    Earth goes around the Sun, and Sun is a few billion miles
    away and it can't block anything to the sort of accuracies
    you would need to make Earth remain in orbit around the Sun.

    7, Aug 14, 2005