    They are £149 +VAT from voiptalk, (which is the cheapest price I can find).

    Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good solid handset for use in a
    busy office?

    Thomas Rankin, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Not used them, but I've had
    http://www.voiptalk.org/products/GXP-2000+VoIP+Phone+Twinpack open in
    an Opera tab for a few days now, whilst considering buying a pair of
    them. The multiple SIP account (I only need 3-4) feature sounds nice -
    especially if I can have the same accounts in 2 phones (one at home
    and one at work) to allow me to have a single number (well multiple
    single numbers!) for both locations.

    I have got a Telappliant IP2006 at work at the moment, but if you use
    both its LAN & PC ports, it seems to die and need re-booting every day
    or so :-(

    Stuart Millington, Aug 3, 2005

  3. If you are willing to buy across the Pond,
    http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=331 quotes
    $109.95 for one and $99.95 for 50+, which should be competitive also if
    you factor in the freight charges. I bought from them a Sipura SPA-3000
    and they shipped promptly, although at about $40 for delivery to Hong
    Kong the S&H charges were about twice of what was subsequently charged
    by www.telephonyware.com (but the latter sells no Grandstream models).

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Thomas Rankin

    John Daragon Guest

    No comment about the 'phone itself, I'm afraid, but they're £80 + VAT
    from http://store.myphonecall.co.uk/store/shopexd.asp?id=4

    jd

    --

    John Daragon
    argv[0] limited (Asterisk implementation & consultancy)

    John Daragon, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Thomas Rankin

    John Daragon Guest

    Ah.... That'll be a twin pack, then... <FX>Trying to remove foot from
    mouth...</FX>

    jd

    John Daragon, Aug 4, 2005
  6. I have had one for some time. It has been totally reliable and handles
    my two SIP accounts without problem. That being said, the documentation
    does assume a reasonable degree of technical knowledge.

    Richard Anderton, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Thomas Rankin

    Angus Comber Guest

    I use one and find it pretty good. Yes the four SIP accounts feature is
    good. I attach to an asterisk. However, I have a problem with handsfree
    operation where remote party says can hardy hear me - so I have been holding
    handset (I like handsfree operation).

    It may be some configuration option - not sure yet.

    Angus

    Angus Comber, Aug 5, 2005
  8. Thomas Rankin

    BKM Guest

    I am on my second device (the first has a defective handset). It works fine
    and the mutiple SIP accounts very handy. It does not support the ilbc codec
    even though the doco on the Grandstream claims it does, coming soon in the
    new firmware I am told.
    The handset is very light (a lot lighter than the previous Budgetone model)
    and the build quality only average. Entirely adequate for home use if you
    dont need hands free (speaker not too good). I would not install one in an
    office.

    Brian

    BKM, Aug 5, 2005
  9. That's a shame, I was looking to put it in an office where it is liable
    to get plenty of punishment.

    Thanks for the response

    Thomas Rankin, Aug 5, 2005
  10. Thomas Rankin

    tony sayer Guest

    What would you recommend in its place?.....

    tony sayer, Aug 5, 2005
  11. Shame, for a multi-line/account phone, it's a good price :-(

    Something like this, but with a built-in FXO port for running in
    parallel with a legacy PBX (that can't be replaced for political
    reasons) or home POTS line would be even better.

    Stuart Millington, Aug 5, 2005
  12. The build quality of the unit and its pushbuttons etc. seem pretty good.
    The handset is a bit light in weight that is all. I have seen worse
    phones in offices.

    Richard Anderton, Aug 6, 2005
  13. The IP2006 issue you mention is not normal. You really should log the issue
    with Telappliant so that they can resolve it for you. I have had numerous
    issues with other phones, and all issues have turned out to be firmware
    related.

    V-Knowledge

    VoIP Knowledge, Aug 6, 2005
  14. Thomas Rankin

    BKM Guest

    Depends on the features you wish to support and the amount you are prepared
    to pay (as always). If price is not an issue then the Cisco phones take some
    beating, they are robust and support variety of options, including a nice
    XML interface for handling a central directory. Then you have the SNOM and
    Polycom ranges both of which get good reports in the various forums. Polycom
    gets good reports for its hand free and SNOM for its adherence to the SIP
    standard (whatever that might be this week ;-). Now, if only SNOM would
    support IAX (the Asterisk protocol) out of the box then it would be 'no
    contest' IMHO.
    Brian

    BKM, Aug 6, 2005
  15. Thomas Rankin

    John Daragon Guest

    BKM wrote:
    Snip ...
    There was some debate at Astricon Europe about Snom and IAX2. Christian
    Stredicke said that Snom couldn't justify spending the money to
    implement IAX2. Of course, he gets a heap of Asterisk zealots asking for
    this all the time so it was interesting to hear why he wasn't going to
    do it. Then someone (Mark Spencer, IIRC) asked if they could come to
    some arrangement whereby the * community (or Digium, my recollection is
    hazy..) could do the development for them... So someone, somewhere, is
    thinking about this.

    Of course, IAX doesn't do presence at the moment (although I think
    Digium are convinced that it will have to at some stage...) so things
    like buddy lights won't work...

    jd

    John Daragon, Aug 6, 2005
  16. Fair enough.