Government orders Telecom unbundling of local loop... you heard it here first!!!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by news.xtra.co.nz, May 3, 2006.

  1. woohoo!!

    news.xtra.co.nz, May 3, 2006

  2. Ironic, on the day that Telecom cut news groups, the government bares it's
    teeth (after 7 years of being butt-f***d by telecom)

    news.xtra.co.nz, May 3, 2006

  3. TyphoonTycoon, May 3, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    XPD Guest

    Hmm... maybe I missed something (skim reading) or are they missing one fact
    in that..... WHEN ?
    Its fine to say "its happening" but Ive heard that before and 5 yrs later
    something happens... :-/

    XPD, May 3, 2006
  5. w00p w00p

    - posted from an ISP who still knows about Usenet

    wogers nemesis, May 3, 2006
  6. 500 years from now. Buck Rogers can then visit Auckland, and surf using
    telstra clear equipment.

    news.xtra.co.nz, May 3, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    TakeME Brett Guest

    radion nz has interview now

    TakeME Brett, May 3, 2006
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    RayC Guest

    10 years to late. but good to hear.

    RayC, May 3, 2006
  9. I'd have a beer, but then I'd have to go see my dentist twice in the same
    day.

    It'll prorably take a long time for the economics of putting gear in in
    smaller rural town like mine. Never the less, the clock is ticking that much
    closer.

    Gavin & Sandy, May 3, 2006
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Government orders Telecom unbundling of local loop

    About time

    Nik Coughlin, May 3, 2006
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    Stu Fleming Guest

    What did the Telecom share price do between 10am and 5pm today?

    Stu Fleming, May 3, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    EMB Guest

    The announcement was after the close of the NZ stock exchange, but on
    the Aus exchange the price dropped 7% immediately.

    EMB, May 3, 2006
  13. Congratulations Gavin and Sandy. It appears your post was the last one
    in nz.comp to make it out of the Xtra news server.

    Wonder if you'll get to see this.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, May 3, 2006
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    Bruce Knox Guest

    Well... Actually I heard it last friday (or rumour of it anyway).

    Better than good news though. Think I will have wine to celebrate!

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, May 3, 2006
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    Round 1 to the .govt
    Ive yet to see Telecom lie down and take it easy, so the battles only really
    begun IMO
    Its a pity there has to be so much of a fight, over something that at one
    point nobody wanted, so the then Telecom picked up as a community service

    http://www.wlug.org.nz/NewZealandInternetHistory
    Between 1995/1996 and 2001.

    * Waikato no longer main connectivity. Rex Croft not looking after .nz.
    Telecom/Netway got it because nobody else wanted it.

    Shane, May 3, 2006
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    Ever start writing about something in your blog/diary and suddenly think,
    shit.. Telecom still own the Southern Cross Cable, they will simply create
    a bottle neck there? To slow the other ISP's down
    (Please someone tell me Im way off and they cant do that)

    Shane, May 3, 2006
  17. The Southern Cross Cable has multiple owners. Telecom may well have the
    others tied up contractually however.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, May 3, 2006
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    thingy Guest

    :D

    Of course I expect Telecom will try legal options to forstall this?

    Hopefully they will lose.

    :D

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, May 3, 2006
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    bob Guest

    Eeexcelent.

    bob, May 3, 2006
  20. news.xtra.co.nz

    Evans Guest

    I smell a rat - perhaps Labour will unbundle Telecom after the next
    election...

    the battle only just begun...

    Evans, May 3, 2006