    players/burners on the same cable when possible, especially with more
    modern systems having more than enough power and memroy to compensate
    for cd to cd burning.

    Peter D, Aug 29, 2003

  2. Butch

    Peter D Guest

    jackfish wrote in message ...
    It depends. I know, not a definitive answer. :)

    What does your mobo manual say? If it doesn't say you can't , goferit.
    Run some tests and see if you notice increased/decreased performance.
    Though I'd only bother to get performance out of fast HDs. I wouldn't
    bother for the average CD drive.

    Peter D, Aug 29, 2003

  3. Butch

    jackfish Guest

    The manual isn't clear about this. I will have to try it out unless
    someone here has had some experience with this.

    jackfish, Aug 29, 2003
  4. Butch

    Peter D Guest

    Are you sure of the mobo model#? Sure it isn't a GA-7VAXP or Ultra?

    Peter D, Aug 29, 2003
  5. Butch

    Ingme Guest

    The newer chipsets (well actually the newer IDE controllers) come with

    It's not a contradiction.... The Independent Device Timing is geared towards
    having "hard drives" with different transfer modes on the same channel. You
    no longer will have both of them running at the lowest device's mode.

    What you are referencing is when you add an ATAPI device into the equation
    (ie a hard drive and optical (CD ) drive). Hard drives and Atapi devices
    have different protocols that "can" cause a sow down on your hard drive when
    shared with a CD. Also older CD's don't not allow for DMA which could
    potentially slow down the connected Hard drive again.....

    Ingme, Aug 29, 2003
  6. Butch

    Ingme Guest

    Hehe. Yes I am. Looks like I should have delved a little deeper. Thanks
    I found out the same way you did, a year or so ago....

    ....and yes, it is usually better to separate the HD from the CD if
    possible...just not as critical as it used to be (especially if the CD has
    DMA capabilities)...ymwv

    Ingme, Aug 29, 2003
  7. Butch

    Butch Guest

    Below is a copy of my BIOS report from the site you (Will) suggested.

    Program: Unicore BIOS Wizard Version 3.21
    Program: eSupport.com BIOS Detect v1.2 July 21, 2003
    BIOS Date: 06/28/00
    BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    BIOS ID: 06/28/2000-i440BX-W83977-2A69KA1EC-SS
    OEM Sign-On: GREEN AGP/PCI/ISA SYTEM
    Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 2
    Superio: Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h
    OS: Microsoft Windows 98 Version: 4.10.1998
    CPU Type: INTEL(R) CELERON(TM)
    CPU Speed: 450 Mhz
    CPU Max: 400 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    Memory Installed: 256 MB
    Memory Maximum: Unknown
    Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
    Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
    Memory Slot 03: 0 MB

    Can anyone help me from this info?
    Thanks in advance!
    Butch

    Butch, Aug 30, 2003
  8. Butch

    Ingme Guest

    You would have to go back and read in the "order" of the thread...

    My comment about independent device timing wasn't in regards to the main
    thread (or Peter's comments about CD vs HD), but to his comment that "newer
    system" IDE controllers will take on the speed of the slowest HD on a
    channel, whereas the link I posted refuted that...

    I have already posted that (as also noted from the same site of the link),
    and although not as critical as it once was, CD and HD would be better if
    they can be seperated on on their own channels...

    Ingme, Aug 30, 2003
  9. Butch

    Peter D Guest

    Ingme wrote in message ...
    Actually, I was always talking about mixing HDs and CDs -- my opinion
    was in oppostion to the opinion to do so. However, I did use the words
    "at the spee dof the slowest device" without specifiying CD
    Player/burner. Although the next sentnece did say so.

    Anyway, no biggie. :)
    We all seem to be in agreement on that.

    Peter D, Aug 30, 2003
  10. Butch

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    We all aren't, as I don't agree with that in the least.

    DeMoN LaG, Aug 31, 2003
  11. Butch

    Ingme Guest

    I have already posted that (as also noted from the same site of the
    At least give some reasons (maybe we'll all learn something new...)

    Ingme, Aug 31, 2003
  12. Butch

    Peter D Guest

    Do you have a reason, or is it just a personal preference?

    Peter D, Aug 31, 2003
  13. Butch

    derek / nul Guest

    Lesson of throughput.

    1. a single ide drive on a single ide channel can transfer more data that 2
    drives on one channel.
    The reason for this:-

    They cannot overlap seeks and reads
    They cannot interleave i/o's (reads and writes)

    System configuration

    If you have 2 devices

    hd on primary
    cd on secondary

    if you have 3 devices

    hd primary master
    reader primary slave
    burner secondary master

    if you have 4 devices

    hd primary master
    reader primary slave

    hd secondary master
    burner secondary slave.

    derek / nul, Aug 31, 2003
  14. Butch

    Ingme Guest

    ---stuff omitted to save space---

    ...Okay, you're talking about when you have 2 hd vs. 1 cd, 2 hd vs 0 cd,
    etc....we were only talking about the situation with 1 HD and 1 CD, so I can
    see your point. And yes, every situation has different rules, not one rule
    for all situations (that point should have been made).

    A link that describes that better (not my opinion)..

    http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confRecommendations.html

    Ingme, Sep 1, 2003
  15. Butch

    Peter D Guest

    derek / nul wrote in message
    It still looks like a personal preference or a case of the above being
    'perfect' for a specific situation. Why should everyone cable as you
    prefer?

    Peter D, Sep 2, 2003
  16. Butch

    derek / nul Guest

    If you would like to discuss throughput, please do.

    If not, you may do as you please.

    No compulsion here. :)

    Derek

    derek / nul, Sep 2, 2003