    this six color printer. I was looking for a replacement printer, but now I
    can put that off for at least a while.
    John

    jriegle, Jan 15, 2004

  2. jriegle

    Ron Hunter Guest

    So, you fixed it. NOw try this for future reference. ALWAYS remember
    to turn the printer off from the printer control panel, NOT from a power
    strip. The clogging problem with disappear, or be much less frequent.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 16, 2004

  3. jriegle

    KenP Guest

    And I might add (after two Epson printer deaths) that following
    turning the printer off from the control panel you should also yank
    the cord; that is, if you don't have the printer connected to a UPS.
    These printers have power supplies that are always "on" and thus
    susceptible to powerline transients at any time. Turning the printer
    off on the panel only disconnects the secondary side of the supply
    within the main board. It cost me plenty to learn this.

    KenP, Jan 16, 2004
  4. jriegle

    Ron Hunter Guest

    That's true for almost all modern electronic equipment these days.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 16, 2004
  5. jriegle

    jriegle Guest

    Making assumptions are we? I'm well aware of turning off the printer using
    its power button to properly park the printer head. I always turn this
    printer off this way.
    John

    jriegle, Jan 16, 2004
  6. jriegle

    GJP Guest

    I guess assumptions are made becuase the "whole" story is not always
    told.(G)
    Now I'm interested after reading some enlightening comments in this thread
    (thank you Ron et al)as to why you were having clogging problems in the
    first place since you have now stated you knew enough to "shut" the printer
    off before turning off the power, something I didn't realize.(G)
    I'm interested as I said, because I too have a Epson 820, so am I looking
    at clogging problems down the line even though I will now turn off the
    printer before turning off the power?
    Also do you use Epson inks or so called compatables?
    Just got to say one learns a heck of lot spending time reading here.(G)

    GJP

    GJP, Jan 16, 2004
  7. jriegle

    Rick Guest

    There are other causes for clogging problems, not just switching
    the printer off via a power strip.. You'll be far more prone if you
    use the printer infrequently, live in a desert or other area of low
    relative humidity, or use cheap third-party inks and cartridges.

    Rick

    Rick, Jan 17, 2004
  8. jriegle

    GJP Guest

    I guess then if I encounter "plugging" it could be caused by infrequent use
    then..since I don't fit any of the other criteria, no desert like
    conditions, our only environment conditions are the -40 degrees we have had
    for the last week.(G)
    My one encounter with "cheap third party knockoffs" ended before it started
    with a leaking cartridge before I printed a page.(G)
    But one has to try, heck at $40+ for a Epson black ink cartridge is a
    little on the steep side in my book.(G)

    Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

    GJP

    GJP, Jan 17, 2004
  9. jriegle

    Rick Guest

    Outrageous is the word.

    Rick, Jan 17, 2004
  10. jriegle

    NESTEGARD Guest

    But one has to try, heck at $40+ for a Epson black ink cartridge is a
    Do you have Costco? They sell package of 2 color and 1 BW ink cartridges for
    the 820 for $50

    NESTEGARD, Jan 17, 2004
  11. jriegle

    GJP Guest

    Yep we have a Costco but that sounds like US prices and is it Epson ink.
    I'm from the GWN, Canada in other words, but I will check it out.
    Thanks much appreciated.

    GJP

    (NESTEGARD) wrote in

    GJP, Jan 18, 2004
  12. jriegle

    Roy Bishop Guest

    You need to try a little harder, Epson sells them for $27.10 including
    shipping.

    I've been buying them for $16.85 with free shipping on the web.

    I tried the ink4art cartridges but gave up when a 10-12 cleaning
    cycles wouldn't produce a good print. I put in the real Epson
    cartridges and 2-3 cycles later all was well again. I really wanted
    the inexpensive ones to work but they didn't for me.
    Email:
    User: roy27614
    ISP: mindspring.com

    Roy Bishop, Jan 18, 2004
  13. jriegle

    GJP Guest

    Yep guess I should try harder, when I read the Epson web site it says
    $25.60 per black cart. now if I add on the exchange (cuz I'm Canadian eh!)
    at todays rate that's $33.30...a long way from your $16.85 which makes me
    assume it is US prices you are quoting.(G)
    Thanks for the reply.
    GJP

    GJP, Jan 19, 2004