Got network working but need access to delete files....

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by J Tinsby, Jan 26, 2010.

  1. J Tinsby

    J Tinsby Guest

    Hello,

    I got my wireless network working and I can share files between the
    two machines, one running XP Pro the other XP Home.

    I sent some files from the XP Home machine to the Pro, that worked
    fine but now I can't delete the files on the Home machine. I went into
    safe mode and looked at getting permission as admin to delete these
    files ( thye show up with an icon that looks like it's connected to a
    pipe, I assume that's the network).

    I haven't a clue how to take over permission of these files even after
    having read the MS help files on the subject.. 'parent | child' ACE
    etc. might as well be Greek to me :(

    Is there a guide on the 'net somewhere that can walk me through taking
    over these files so I can delete them?

    Regards,

    J Tinsby

    J Tinsby, Jan 26, 2010

  2. J Tinsby

    Lem Guest

    Please clarify: you *copied* somefile.txt from PC A to PC B and now you
    want to delete it from PC A?
    What happens when you try to delete it on PC A? Please quote any error
    message in full.

    Lem, Jan 27, 2010

  3. J Tinsby

    John Guest

    I wonder why OP mentioned "wireless" AND "networking" if the problem is just
    file permission in a single PC.

    John, Jan 27, 2010
  4. Hi
    It depends on what application you use to Copy the Files.
    In some programs Copy means putting an access icon on the destination
    computer but Not actually copying the files.
    Make sure that you use Copy to, rather then just Copy, and then check the
    destination computer that file indeed is copied.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 27, 2010
  5. J Tinsby

    J Tinsby Guest

    It says: Cannot delete file sample.txt Access Denied
    Make sure file is not in use or is not write protected and that the
    file is not currently in use.

    Thank you,

    J T

    J Tinsby, Jan 27, 2010