Got my 5D + full res sample

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris Brown, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Chris Brown

    Chris Brown Guest

    I just picked up my 5D from Campkins in Cambridge, who gave me a very
    resaonable part-exchange on my 10D (a lot more confidence-inspiring than
    selling it on eBay). Apparently it was the first one that they'd sold
    through their main shops, although they'd sold one earlier today through
    their professional outlet.

    Initial impressions - *loveley* viewfinder. The AF selection mechanism is a
    vast, vast improvement over the 10D. I like the new RAW conversion software
    as well. Had a brief play with AI-servo - it seems to be a lot cleverer
    about tracking the real object.

    The spot meter is nice and precise, and seems to correspond very well with
    the focus point in the viewfinder. Ergonomically, the camera feels a lot
    like the 10D, but there are several obvious improvements, and one
    disappointment. First the improvements - the viewfinder and focus point
    selection I've already mentioned. In addition to being bigger and brighter,
    the finder is a lot better for manual focus as well. ISO display in the
    viewfinder is nice. The LCD is *huge* and bright.

    This thing is *fast* too. Startup is instant, image replay, zooming and
    panning are smooth and fast. Very nice.

    The disappointment is a bit obscure - they've taken the function key away,
    which I kept for FEL, and replaced it with a pointless "direct print"
    button (is this an IXUS? I don't think so). As far as I can tell, this
    now makes it impossible to use FEL and EL simultaneously, or use FEL at
    all with the focus assigned to the * button. This is a shame, as it was
    one of the really handy things about the 10D. :-(

    Anyway, on to the sample. It's here (caution, 3 megabyte JPEG, dialup users
    beware):

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/narcissus/5D_Rose.jpg

    Image details - EOS 5D with Canon 50mm f/1.4 EF USM. 1/100 sec, f/8, 100
    ISO, shot RAW and converted with the software that came with the camera.
    Some levels and contrast adjustment, and a bit of USM in Photoshop.

    As for the lens performance, some of the threads here recently would have us
    believe that this camera is bound to be a complete lemon unless you use
    lenses with the magic "digital" word on them, or gold-plated L lenses. Well,
    this was shot with the decidedly non-designed-for-digital 50mm f/1.4, and
    oh, my eyes! It hurts my eyes! Seriously though, the's a tiny bit of
    chromatic abberation visible in the budding rose in the top right corner,
    and a little bit on the other flower at the far left. Pretty insignificant
    though, and easilly fixed in Photoshop, once the 5D is supported.

    As for print quality - I did an A3 print of that image. It looks like the
    10D does at A4, and while it's clearly not as sharp as a similar sized print
    from my Mamiya 7 (6*7 medium format slides), it's not shamed by it in the
    same way that 6MP digital and 35mm are.

    Chris Brown, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Is it just me or does the bud appear to be in sharp focus compared to
    the blossomed rose? And the blossomed rose appears over-exposed
    compared to the well-balanced rose bud?

    I don't mean to be critical of your shooting since I know you haven't
    presented this image for critical evaluation but I noticed from the
    EXIF info that the camera was set to auto exposure. So does this say
    something about how the camera handles exposure? Which AF point was lit
    when you hit the shutter?

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Chris Brown

    Chris Brown Guest

    Automatic exposure just means that the camera isn't in M mode. FWIW, I
    generally don't let my cameras make those sort of decisions, and this shot
    was no exception. Both the choice of focus and exposure in that shot are
    entirely manual - the camera didn't make any decisions. I spot metered in Av
    mode with exposure compensation set, and used focus lock. Any blown
    highlights etc. are entirely my fault and not the camera's. :p

    Having just looked at the raw file again, the highlights aren't actually
    blown - there's plenty of headroom there. The detail went in my levels
    adjustment.

    Chris Brown, Sep 29, 2005
  4. This aside, does anyone have any comparison of the viewfinder view from
    the Canon 300D, 20D, 5D and 1Ds with images of view thru the
    viewfinders side-by-side?

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Chris Brown

    Chris Brown Guest

    I just tried to take some with an old P&S digicam, but it didn't work so
    well.

    Chris Brown, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Chris Brown wrote:
    [] Is it just me, or is that image surprising noisy in the shadow areas
    (considering it was taken at ISO 100)?

    [Good to hear Campkins is still around - I bought a lot of Nikon stuff
    there 30+ years ago!]

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 29, 2005
  7. Chris Brown

    Chris Brown Guest

    It's similar on a per-pixel bases to what I was used to with the 10D. Lower
    overall because of the increased pizel count.

    What I have noticed is that some of the CA is made worse by interpolation
    artifacts. Look on the small rosebud and you can see a sort of red staircase
    around the edge. I remember that Canon's raw convertors have always seemed
    to suffer from this problem, and I hope Adobe gets support in their DNG
    convertor soon.
    Without them I'd probably have to go all the way to London and back to get
    my MF and LF film...

    Chris Brown, Sep 29, 2005
  8. Now that you mention it, I compared the photo to photos from my 300D
    and what you say seems to be true!!

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Sep 30, 2005