Got Burned one too many times

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by SamuelF566, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. Actually... Gartner /used/ to say that it would become common (in the
    mid-late nineties), fot a bit wobbly about the TCO in 2003, last month's
    view was that "while most users could get their work done either on Windows
    or Linux, Microsoft Office or OpenOffice.org" in a "greenfield" environment
    where new PCs and applications are installed, swapping out Windows for Linux
    is a trickier situation", mainly because they had an "oversized catalog of
    applications with no suitable Linux alternative".

    That's kinda the exact opposite of what you're saying... ;o)
    (Cough) as an Open Source writing myself, I'm more than a little aware of
    this. Linux was originally written with the goal of duplicating the UNIX
    krnel. Most of the tools are the same. Much application source can be ported
    with trivial changes. It's just the *type* of aplications that are
    available...
    Yup. Turns out that people wanted to use those features. Remember what I
    said about MS taking someone else's design and improving on it (in feature
    terms)?
    Try running more Java software... I tend to leave the minimum of JDK/JREs on
    my machines - four, as it happens. Incompatabilities between 1.3, two
    versions of 1.4.2.03 (I *do* wish Sun would just issue one set of code per
    relase level; I have three available, all with different bugs), and (until
    yesterday) one 1.5 JDK and one 1.5 JRE (guess what? Sun cocked up the
    updates.. you end up developing in one version, and running on another)

    It's probably worth pointing out at this point that I've been working daily
    with commercial Java for more than six years. We still have outstanding
    garbage collection bugs logged in 1997. Somewhat hillariously, MS followed
    the spec and Sun made a dirty great assumption.

    Oh, and since you did it to me... Java is a platform, not an OS. As I am
    sure you are aware.
    Your point is? I could go out and buy one of the new Airbuses for $150m, but
    I generally find it more convenient to pop down the shops in a car. Most
    people do.

    But I probably wouldn't be able to get a long enough run-up to cross the
    Atlantic in one. Specific equipment for specific use, general equipment for
    general use.

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 10, 2005

  2. SamuelF566

    george1234 Guest

    You might want to try a firewall. I use the free ware version of
    sygate

    george1234, Sep 12, 2005

  3. SamuelF566

    george1234 Guest

    That... and turn of the services you don't use ( see
    www.blackviper.com)

    george1234, Sep 12, 2005
  4. SamuelF566

    Winged Guest

    Thanks, didn't know blackviper site was back. (he went offline sometime
    back). From first peeks his new site seems better. I might not follow
    all his recommendations but his services section is a nice service
    reference that I send home users to to kill those un-needed windows
    services. Thanks for letting me know it is back. :)

    Winged

    Winged, Sep 13, 2005