    Step method that seems to have stopped the problem but still must check
    daily. I use AVG Anti-Virus, SpyBot search & destroy and pc bug
    Detector. Checking updates daily and running each one every single day.

    SamuelF566, Sep 4, 2005

  2. SamuelF566

    Jim Watt Guest

    Although that sounds good stuff, you should consider why you were
    getting problems in the first place. My experience is that it is
    users who run any old rubbish found on the Internet who have
    problems and prevention is better than cure.

    Jim Watt, Sep 4, 2005

  3. SamuelF566

    hatschi Guest

    It's useless, unless you don't update your AV software and
    _most__important_ your operating system, winxp I guess.

    hatschi, Sep 4, 2005
  4. SamuelF566

    Management Guest

    I'm fascinated by this, very curious as to how you managed to get
    "various Viruses". We have three machines on a home network, all
    have AVG which updates daily, each machine has ZoneAlarm to control
    what gets out and the router/modem firewall ensures that our network
    is "stealthed". We run AdAware & SpyBot every week or so. Each
    machine uses Hosts to block various nasties. The three machines are
    XP Pro, XP Home & Windows 98. We all use FireFox & Thunderbird.

    What we don't do:

    Use Internet Explorer or ActiveX (except for Windows Update) or
    Outlook Express.
    We do not accept or use HTML in email and we NEVER open unsolicited
    attachments.
    We don't download files until we are sure that the sites are genuine
    and AVG checks them before installing.

    Obviously there has been a learning curve, I have learned a lot over
    the years (especially from the newsgroups at grc.com).

    Anyway, it looks like you're on the right tracks now :)

    Charlie.

    Management, Sep 4, 2005
  5. SamuelF566

    David Norris Guest

    My own advice would be don't bother, use Linux instead of Windows. Virtually
    all viruses, spyware and exploits target Windows so save yourself the never
    ending grief!

    David Norris, Sep 4, 2005
  6. SamuelF566

    Chuck Guest

    That's a good start. One of the most essential, and most overlooked, components
    in a good Layered Security strategy, though, is the CKI.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/please-protect-yourself-layer-your.html>

    A problematic CKI (Chair To Keyboard Interface) will invalidate any software
    solutions in Layered Security.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Sep 4, 2005
  7. SamuelF566

    Imhotep Guest

    I second that. If linux/BSD is not your thing, check out a Mac. They have
    one of the nicest GUIs going....

    Imhotep, Sep 4, 2005
  8. SamuelF566

    Bit Twister Guest

    Daily, you aught to have AV check for updates hourly and you can still
    look forward to getting an infection. AV vendors have to catch a copy
    of the virus of the hour, test it, add to database, and you pick up up
    sometime later.

    Cut your losses, move to linux. Make a free/empty/unformated
    partition. Pick custom install create a 512 meg swap partiton and the
    rest with / and you would be good to go. Here look at install screens
    http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/install100.html
    That is an old site newest release is 10.2 (LE2005)

    Look at the doc link http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en-us/
    for Starter and Command Line if you are interested.

    Bit Twister, Sep 4, 2005
  9. SamuelF566

    Jim Watt Guest

    Which won't run most of the commercial and game software around.

    The guy wants to run windows.

    Jim Watt, Sep 4, 2005
  10. SamuelF566

    Eugene Nine Guest

    Funny, I was doing the same thing, took probably an hour each day to do all
    the maintenance on my system not counting backups.
    I made the switch to Linux and was surprised how easy it was to setup and I
    spent very little time "tinkering" with it as the anti-linux people say.
    Been running over a year now, crashed once when my cdburner failed while
    burning a cd. Since switching over I've now had the time to get myself
    organized and am liking openoffice much more than msoffice, finally have my
    home inventory spreadsheets all linked up, a bunch of docs organized and
    cleaned up, I've not only become more secure I'm now become more
    productive. Now when I'm at the office using the company supplied system
    I'm annoyed at how slow and inefficient XP is.

    Eugene Nine, Sep 4, 2005
  11. SamuelF566

    Eugene Nine Guest

    Dual boot then, boot windows to play games and boot linux to do anything
    else.
    I've used mac's and have not been impressed compared to what is available
    for Linux.

    Eugene Nine, Sep 4, 2005
  12. SamuelF566

    Eugene Nine Guest

    Using internet explorer is the mail culprit. I had the same issue a year or
    so ago before firefox was popular. I disabled active X, disabled
    javascript, ran as a non administrator and still got some nasty spyware
    just from mis-typing a web site address.

    Eugene Nine, Sep 4, 2005
  13. SamuelF566

    Eugene Nine Guest

    Simply mistyping an address into internet explorer can cause nasty spyware
    infections, I had it happen to me a couple times when running as a non
    admin, with java and active x disabled.

    Eugene Nine, Sep 4, 2005
  14. SamuelF566

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Samuel - You might want to take a look at some of the suggestions in my
    Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy in Signature below, especially the
    preventive measures outlined at the end.

    Jim Byrd, Sep 5, 2005
  15. SamuelF566

    Imhotep Guest

    ....I believe he said he was TRIED of computer crashes, spayware and viruses.
    Did he not?

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 5, 2005
  16. SamuelF566

    Imhotep Guest

    I am not a Mac guy but, I have played around with them at various stores. I
    sure the desktop manager...really slick...

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 5, 2005
  17. SamuelF566

    Imhotep Guest

    Doing all things things will not make you 100% secure (you're using
    windows!) However, it is a step in the right direction...

    Im

    Imhotep, Sep 5, 2005
  18. SamuelF566

    Imhotep Guest

    Yup, a lot of people are jumping to Linux/BSD/UNIX and once again are
    enjoying the Internet they way it is meant to be.

    I have been using UNIX (in one form or another) for 12 years. About two
    years ago, I got fed up with spending hours on updating all the various
    anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-this and anti-that. I also was sick and
    tried of the crapware from M$. I decided to go 100% FreeBSD at home. I do
    not regret it. There are some differences. For example computer games.
    There are not as many for FreeBSD/Linux. However, this is not a big deal as
    I have a Play Station anyway....

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 5, 2005
  19. SamuelF566

    Jim Watt Guest

    Perhaps you could explain how, as it does not seem to happen
    to me, and my typing is as bad as anyones.

    Jim Watt, Sep 5, 2005
  20. SamuelF566

    Jim Watt Guest

    I'm tired of idiots who can't address the question of running windows
    safely except by lame comments like 'get a Mac or use Linux'

    I look after a number of PC's running a mix of versions of windows
    and the cause of problems is the users, where they behave sensibly,
    there is no malware.

    Just say NO to 'toolbars' 'search assistants' and the wonderful
    smiley things andtheir ilk then life is easy.

    Now I'm off to see someone with Lop who didn't listen
    but if I told him to get a Mac he would laugh.

    Jim Watt, Sep 5, 2005