    I'd like more information on how I can subscribe to Google Groups on my
    news reader. I know this can be done. but the help section on the Google
    Groups site does not give any details. Thank you.

    Fly Cooter, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Fly Cooter

    Gordon Guest

    You can't - they are web-based only AFAIK.....

    Gordon, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Fly Cooter

    Fly Cooter Guest

    They are web based but there is a way to do it. I'd appreciate an answer
    from someone that knows about this.

    Fly Cooter, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Fly Cooter

    Gordon Guest

    if you can use a news reader WHY subscribe to googlegroups in the first
    place?

    Gordon, Aug 10, 2005
  5. Fly Cooter

    Fly Cooter Guest

    BECAUSE Google Groups saves messages forever. Other services delete the
    messages after a few months. AND because Google has groups that other
    services don't have.

    Now, is there anyone that can answer my question please?

    Fly Cooter, Aug 10, 2005
  6. Fly Cooter

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Not if you keep posting from Google Groups.

    --

    "Instead of trying to bash me you should try to learn from me and
    archive my posts so you can better help people in the future. If you don't

    -
    -

    pcbutts1, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Fly Cooter

    Gordon Guest

    So search googlegroups on the web if you want to delve back that far - just
    like everyone else does

    AND because Google has groups that
    So subscribe to a decent news feed
    Well Google itself has NO information - you've tried searching there I
    suppose?

    Gordon, Aug 10, 2005
  8. Fly Cooter

    Shel-hed Guest

    Shel-hed, Aug 10, 2005
  9. Fly Cooter

    BarB Guest

    You can't access Google's server via an NNTP-based newsgroup reader,
    only via the Web interface. However there are free nntp servers. The
    best in my opinion is RFN, news.readfreenews.net.

    News.groups is for the discussion of new Usenet groups. Followups set
    to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.

    BarB

    BarB, Aug 10, 2005
  10. Fly Cooter

    me Guest

    Which part of the following do you not understand?

    [ quot ]
    Can I use a newsreader (e.g. Outlook Express, Netscape
    Messenger)
    to access Google Groups?

    Sorry, you can't use a regular newsreader to access our service.
    You can, however,
    access Google Groups from most web browsers.
    [ /quot ]

    http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=7911

    me, Aug 11, 2005
  11. Fly Cooter

    Fly Cooter Guest

    Of course I did. They only have some outdated link saying that it isn't
    possible, but I know for a fact that it is.

    Fly Cooter, Aug 11, 2005
  12. Fly Cooter

    Fly Cooter Guest

    Because I was at someone's house last week and I've seen it with my own eyes.

    Fly Cooter, Aug 11, 2005
  13. Fly Cooter

    Harrison Guest

    Facts are only facts if proven to be so. Unless, of course, we're talking about WMD's in Iraq :)

    Harrison, Aug 11, 2005
  14. Fly Cooter

    Fly Cooter Guest

    Yeah, whatever. Google Groups can be read on a newsreader. I've seen it
    done.
    I won't let you control where I can and can't post.

    Fly Cooter, Aug 11, 2005
  15. Fly Cooter

    Charles Guest

    You can subscribe to Google groups with an RSS feed. You can then read
    with a RSS newsreader.

    Also related, there is an application that supposedly bridges RSS and
    NNTP so you can use your favorite NNTP newsreader. I don't know if it
    works.

    http://www.methodize.org/nntprss/

    Charles, Aug 11, 2005
  16. Fly Cooter

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Fly - Well, there's one way - sorta! While, as others have pointed out,
    Google doesn't provide for a normal nntp feed, it does provide atom feeds
    which you can view in an RSS aggregator. See:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12388&topic=255

    "Can I have an RSS feed for my Google Group?

    We don't currently offer RSS feed support for Google Groups, but we do
    supply Atom feeds. To view a group's feed information, go to the group's
    homepage and click the "About this group" link under the title. You'll find
    the Atom feed information just under the group email addresses and public
    website. Most feed readers will accept both RSS and Atom feeds"

    Here's what that looks like:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/about

    About 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Start a new topic - Subscribe to this group - About this group

    Activity: High
    Categories: Usenet: > >
    Activity: High
    Members: 10-100

    Access: • Public - Usenet

    Atom feeds: 100 New topics
    15 New topics
    100 New messages
    15 New messages
    About Atom feeds

    Now what you can do is to incorporate an RSS/Atom aggregator within your
    nntp reader, add the Google feeds you're interested in as channels and trek
    on. I don't think this is really what you're after, but if you want to try
    it, here's the aggregator I use within OE:
    http://www.methodize.org/nntprss/:

    "Bridging the worlds of NNTP clients and RSS feeds, nntp//rss is an
    application that will enable you to use your existing favorite NNTP
    newsreader to read your information channels.

    Overview:

    nntp//rss is a Java-based bridge between RSS feeds and NNTP clients,
    enabling you to read your favorite RSS syndicated content within your
    existing NNTP newsreader. RSS feeds are represented as NNTP newsgroups,
    providing a simple, straightforward and familiar environment for news
    reading.
    nntp//rss contains both an NNTP server and an RSS aggregator, with a web
    interface for administration and monitoring. Installation is as simple as
    unpacking the distribution and running the application. It has been tested
    against popular NNTP newsreaders, including Mozilla, Outlook Express,
    MT-NewsWatcher, Free Agent, and text-based readers such as Gnus, tin and nn.

    Check out nntp//rss now:

    Start up your newsreader and point it to our demo server:
    (You can click on the link below to start your machine's default newsreader)

    This is an actual nntp//rss deployment, pre-configured with some popular
    feeds.
    Note that this demo service is running on a trial basis, and is subject to
    interruption at any time.

    If you like what you see, you can download a copy."

    I added 24hoursupport.helpdesk 100 new topics just now as a test. What I
    got for the most recent one (as an example of what you get):

    "Is Intel Graphics Controller support dual monitor? (This is the Header
    line)

    From: Thaqalain <> Time: Wednesday, August 10,
    2005 6:42 PM

    In my favorite computer,I have Intel(R)82845G/GL Graphics
    Controller,Video BIOS Version 2759,will it support dual monitor?
    Do both individual VGAs have to support dual monitor?
    ----
    INTEL(R) GRAPHICS REPORT
    Report Date: 08,08,2005
    Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 21:59:50
    Driver Version: 6.13.01.3119

    Link:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread/000fa335dd003fd3

    --
    24hoursupport.helpdesk Google Group
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Served by nntp//rss v0.5-beta-1 ( http://www.methodize.org/nntprss )"

    Probably not what you were looking for, but maybe it will help?

    Jim Byrd, Aug 11, 2005
  17. Fly Cooter

    Rick Pikul Guest

    That's funny.

    Because I have subscribed to a few GGroups and I get all of them in the
    form of a mailing list and have posted to them via email.

    Rick Pikul, Aug 11, 2005
  18. Fly Cooter

    Pennywise Guest

    |>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:34:57 +0100, Whiskers wrote:
    |>
    |>> I haven't noticed an option to get each post in a seperate e-mail, let
    |>> alone one to post or reply by e-mail (in the manner of a 'Mailing List'?).

    |> That's funny.
    |>
    |> Because I have subscribed to a few GGroups and I get all of them in the
    |>form of a mailing list and have posted to them via email.

    There's stalker mode as well...

    New! Get the latest messages on author:SomeGal emailed to you with
    Google Alerts. http://www.google.com/alerts?t=8&hl=en&q=author:SomeGal

    Pennywise, Aug 11, 2005
  19. Fly Cooter

    Mark Goodge Guest

    Then ask that person how it's done!

    Mark

    Mark Goodge, Aug 11, 2005
  20. Fly Cooter

    Fly Cooter Guest

    I can't contact that person myself, but a few people have provided the answer I
    was looking for.

    Fly Cooter, Aug 11, 2005