    (the url)has the address that isn't ever relevant. My other computer
    takes me to the right place. What goes on here? I scanned for virus and
    none found.

    L.D., Dec 22, 2008

  2. L.D.

    richard Guest

    http://harborfreight.com/

    try the two words together followed by .com and see what happens.
    then try the two words together as your search.

    Results 1 - 100 of about 753,000 English pages for harbor freight.
    (0.42 seconds)

    You may want to compare your settings between the two.

    One of my biggest gripes with the top search engines has been that
    they rely to much on "hits" of any one word in your search phrase.
    Regardless of relevance of the phrase itself. In order to find your
    exact phrase, you might have to hunt through several hundred items.
    Then offshoots of those words that MIGHT be related to a word in the
    phrase.

    It really wouldn't be a big deal to put the exact matches first on the
    first page. No, they can't do that. They've got ads to sell.

    richard, Dec 22, 2008

  3. L.D.

    VanguardLH Guest

    What is the resultant URL (in the browser's address bar) after you do a
    Google search (copy and paste it in your reply). Could be you are doing
    a poor search using badly formatted search criteria. Is "Harbor
    freight" to be one string? Or 2 separate words?

    Are you using the Google web site? Or are you using the Google Toolbar?
    If the toolbar, did you enable/disable the option to find a site by name
    (I don't remember the exact title of the option)? If on, it goes to the
    most likely site with that name. If off, you just get the same search
    results as you would using their web site search engine.

    If using their toolbar, did you enable or disable the advanced features
    of Page Ranking and the other page function (I don't remember its name
    but has to do with finding similar sites)? Those will modify the URLs
    so clicking on them has you go through Google's servers. That is needed
    to both provide the ranking info back to you, update their database to
    modify that ranking because of your search, and also provide the list of
    similar sites. Using the advanced features means you report to them
    when you click on a URL in the results list, and it means you go through
    their servers before you get to the target site (which adds another hop
    in the route which means less reliable connects). Turn off the advanced
    features in their toolbar (so you don't end up with the redirect URLs in
    your search results) or uninstall it.

    VanguardLH, Dec 22, 2008
  4. L.D.

    L.D. Guest

    This is what is in address bar
    http://scuki.com/search.php?q=haborfreight

    This is the first hit.
    It is a page of Girly Girls and you can't get out of it by back button
    on browser, only by closing with X in top right then you are not even in
    google search any more.
    I have did this exact same thing for several years and always get harbor
    freight web site. As I said, my other computer still does it the way it
    and this one had always done.
    I get different things each time. Most of the time it is a place selling
    something. Several times it is site saying you have a virus and wants to
    scan my computer. Of course I get out of that. They all act the same,
    you can't back button out.

    Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
    Offers a variety of power and hand woodworking tools.
    www.info.com - 66k - Cached - Similar pages

    L.D., Dec 22, 2008
  5. L.D.

    L.D. Guest

    L.D., Dec 22, 2008
  6. L.D.

    L.D. Guest

    L.D., Dec 22, 2008
  7. L.D.

    VanguardLH Guest

    You've been hijacked. Google does not use scuki.com for its URLs.
    After performing a search at the Google site (if indeed that is really
    where you start) then the URL shown in the browser's address bar should
    be:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=harborfreight

    Something on your host is intercepting the search or you really aren't
    starting on Google's home page to do the search.

    What have you used so far to scan for malware on your host? That you
    scanned for a virus doesn't say WHAT you used. ClamAV, CA, Trend,
    OneCare, etc., have very poor pest coverage (i.e., their detection rate
    is low).

    Tried using HijackThis to see what might be affecting or interfering
    with your browser's behavior?

    The folks in the *.[anti-]virus newsgroups might also be able to help.

    VanguardLH, Dec 22, 2008
  8. L.D.

    L.D. Guest

    When I click on the url you just posted it shows in my address bar as
    such.It also brings up search results showing something other than
    Harbor Freight But when I hover my mouse over it, down at the botton it
    shows something else.

    I will try your suggestions.
    Thanks

    L.D., Dec 23, 2008