Good value slide scanner and software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Putty, Jan 1, 2004.

  1. Putty

    Putty Guest

    I've never owned a scanner and have several hundred (maybe even a
    couple thousand) 35 mm color slides that need scanning into a digital
    format.

    The projector is long gone and I have a hunch that viewing photos on a
    TV/computer is more popular and convenient (I didn't say better).

    I'm hoping for suggestions for a good slide scanner. It's got to be
    good enough quality for the result to hold up well when viewed on a
    decent TV. Speed is important as is the software package.

    Bang for the buck a requirement.

    I know this could lead to endless, and highly technical, discussion
    and debate, but would prefer the bottom line.

    If you had a life's worth of family slides and wanted to scan them,
    primarily for sharing, what tools would you choose?

    Thanks for any replies,
    Putty

    Putty, Jan 1, 2004

  2. IF (and that is in capital letters) all you want todo is view your slides
    on a TV, practically anything will do.
    Capturing enough image quality for TV viewing is probably the LEAST
    demanding task you can ask of a scanner.
    A flatbed scanner with a slide adapter is quite sufficient. A film scanner
    is overkill.
    If you have a half way decent macro setting on your digicam, you can
    photograph the slide and crop it to your liking in a photo editor.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Putty

    tatanka Guest

    Minolta Scan Dual III if you only want to spend $300 or so.
    This is more than enough for digital sharing and 8x10 prints on
    an ink-jet.

    I'll be interested in what others say about getting the images to
    TV. My luck with this has been abysmal at best, and I've
    tried several methods. If you are used to seeing projected
    slides, the odds are good that you'll never be pleased with the
    output from a TV. The resolution is just too low. An XGA
    projector tied to a computer on the other hand, handles this
    fairly well. Hopefully someone has a better answer for this.

    tatanka, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Putty

    Xlat Guest

    I've got the Minolta Dual Scan III, bought it because of my daughter's
    recent wedding, and haven't been sorry. Does a fantastic job, almost
    too good. Let me tell you, it will pick up every speck of dust,
    scratch on a negative or slide, etc.... Very nice unit though - hth

    Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

    Xlat, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Putty

    Bluenose Guest

    Let me second both earlier posts. A slide scanner gives way more than what
    you need. However, if you choose to go that route, the Minolta Dimage III
    is great for the money.

    I just bought one last month from B&H to put my father's slide collections
    on CD to share with the family.

    Although it does not have nice dust/scratch removal ICE system of scanners
    costing two to three times as much, I figure to sell mine for 40% off new
    retail in six months when I am done the project.

    Compared to paying for professional conversions, this will represent a huge
    savings. and, although tedious, I enjoy having the creative control on each
    slide.

    Good luck,

    Bruce

    Bluenose, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Putty

    JMooreTS Guest

    I'm hoping for suggestions for a good slide scanner. It's got to be
    Putty,

    I had similar requirements. After a fair amount of research (try
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/ for example), I ended up buying a refurbished
    Minolta ScanElite II on Ebay for about $370. It comes with a 6 month factory
    warranty. It has Digital ICE which will save you LOTS of time (not having to
    do much dust, spot or scratch removal). I like the Minolta scanning software
    very much (and, yes, 'though this is heresy, I like the Minolta software for
    slides better than Vuescan . . . although I use Vuescan for my Epson flatbed
    for scanning prints. But I digress).

    For me, the ScanElite II was preferable to the Scan Dual III because of the
    digital ICE and the price difference (for refurbished) wasn't that much.

    You should also probably consider the Epson flatbed 3170 which will do both
    transparencies and prints. The slide quality will be somewhat less than with a
    dedicated film scanner, but it may be sufficient for your needs. Vuescan, BTW,
    does not work with the 3170.

    John

    JMooreTS, Jan 2, 2004
  7. My wife and I have made slide shows to view on a television, as a way of
    sharing photos. I agree that the image quality isn't the best because of TV
    limitations, but seeing the photos large size can make them impressive.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Given that most people have a reasonably decent-sized PC these days,
    is a CD for viewing on a monitor an option for sharing?

    Anthony Buckland, Jan 2, 2004
  9. I'm feeling my way with a new A80, which has a 5cm minimum in macro
    mode at wide angle. I'm finding it tricky to set the focus accurately
    enough
    to capture the detail in a slide. The slide mounting is a mm or two closer
    to the lens, so autofocus tends to focus it and the writing on it a tad
    sharper,
    so I've been using manual focus and have trouble seeing on the LCD when
    the exact focal distance has been reached. Would I be better off zooming
    out and shooting from about three times as far away? Another means that
    occurs to me is to project my slides and photograph from screen images.
    Have people tried this?

    Or I could just break down and replace my scanner with one with slide
    capability, but I don't fancy the slow speed of a scanner as against getting
    a production line going with my camera.

    Anthony Buckland, Jan 2, 2004
  10. Make sure whatever scanner you get has Digital Ice or its equivalent
    otherwise if you don't have squeeky clean slides you will spend hours
    touching up the images. Also you did not say whether they are
    E-6 (Ektachrome, etc) or Kodachrome. I find Kodachrome much more difficult
    to scan however the newer scanners may work better on it. I have a Nikon
    LS-2000.

    --
    Ed Fortmiller | | Hudson MA
    *

    Ed Fortmiller, Jan 2, 2004
  11. Sharp pencil lines have very high contrast which is what the Autofocus
    mechanism looks for.
    You might try making a neutral gray mask that covers the slide mounting. Then
    the camera has nothing to focus on except the slide itself. Gray is important
    because B/W/Colored would affect the exposure setting and probably the White
    Balance as well.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Jan 3, 2004
  12. Yes Indeed! It certainly is. Just burn your images in jpeg to a CD disk.
    Your DVD player must be jpeg compatible to play your CD full of jpeg images.
    Most DVD players, purchased within the last year, even the very inexpensive ones,
    have this capability. Some older units are not jpeg compatible so you have to
    check. It is not uncommon to see very capable DVD players on sale for less than
    $50.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Jan 3, 2004