    GD Guest

    Can anyone recommend a good text-editor (not notepad lol) that is good for
    php development.

    GD, Jul 8, 2004

  2. GD

    °Mike° Guest

    UltraEdit32
    http://www.ultraedit.com/

    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004

  3. PSPad - text and code editor - Freeware:
    http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html

    regards
    Thorkild Dalsgaard

    Thorkild Dalsgaard, Jul 8, 2004
  4. GD

    Ian Moyce Guest

    Ian Moyce, Jul 8, 2004
  5. GD

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jul 8, 2004
  6. HTML-Kit can handle PHP, CSS, HTML, just about anything with webpages. It
    does syntax highlighting and has a neat feature called "tidy" that is very
    useful. The program reminds me a lot of visual studio, I like it so much.
    Only one glitch: In order to get syntax highlighting to print (instead of
    black and white), you need to do a print preview and then print; you can't
    print directly. I'm sure they'll fix that soon.

    And best of all, it's free =)
    -- Matt

    Matthew Del Buono, Jul 8, 2004
  7. I second that notion. There is only one true text editor, and it is Vim.

    Vim is Good.

    Jeffrey Silverman, Jul 8, 2004
  8. GD

    kiwi Guest

    kiwi, Jul 8, 2004
  9. GD

    Good Man Guest

    snob!

    Good Man, Jul 9, 2004
  10. I'd definitely second this recommendation, at least on a Windows platform.
    I've never used a better Windows editor, if Ian wrote a linux version it
    would be my editor of choice for that platform and I would happily pay for
    another license. Which brings me to another point, the guy behind UltraEdit
    is very open to suggestions, a few versions back I asked for a new syntax
    based re-indenting option which duely appeared in the next release. I've
    used it for programming in PHP, Perl, C++ and Java.

    However as the original poster didn't specify which platform they were using
    I'll also recommend Kate (or better yet KDevelop with Kate) for
    Linux(+KDE).

    Those recommending Vim are either joking or they are masochists ... Vim was
    ok for linux when there was no real alternative (although arguably emacs
    WAS an alternative) but these days working with Vim is like watching a 6"
    black & white TV for the nostalgia value instead of using the the 30"
    Colour FST Widescreen model sitting next to it.

    Stuart Morgan, Jul 9, 2004
  11. I'll also recommend Kate (or better yet KDevelop with Kate) for
    I'll second that ^_^

    -- Matt

    Matthew Del Buono, Jul 9, 2004
  12. Look, you are just flamebaiting with that last comment, but whatever, here
    goes...

    Vim offers: colored syntactic highlighting, macros, multiple memory
    buffers, unlimited levels of undo, abbreviations, shortcuts, and a
    jazillion things that make text editing easy.

    Kate (or Quanta or KDevelop) offers: essentially the same feature set as I
    just listed with Vim.

    Vim is NOT Vi!! Vim is significantly more advanced and improved over Vi.
    Vim even offers what most people seem to want these days in a text editor
    -- GUI control with the mouse. Although switching to the mouse from the
    keyboard is a hassle, slows me down, and makes one have to shift mental
    editing paradigm, thus causing further productivity loss. Really, I can't
    understand why text editors these days are so mouse-oriented. Like
    usability Tim Berners-Lee says, keyboard-oriented tasks should have the
    user stay at the keyboard as much as possible and mouse-oriented tasks
    should have the user stay at the mouse as much as possible. And this is my
    problem with most of the more modern text editors -- they require the jump
    from keyboard to mouse and back in order to do any more than the most
    basic text manipulation.

    For example, to cut a line of text in Vim and past it two lines lower, I
    type:

    dd2jp

    To do the same in Quanta or KAte or other GUI-oriented texte editor:

    Grab mouse, manipulate cursor over start of line. Triple-click (for some
    editors) or double-click (for others) or click-and-drag over the entire
    line (for most all text editors). Press CTRL-X or go to the Edit->Cut
    menu or right-click and choose Cut. Move the cursor down two lines,
    either with the arrow keys, or by clicking with the mouse. Press CTRL-V
    or go to Edit->Paste.

    Now *that*, my friends, is harder, slower, and more disjointed.

    Now, admittedly, Vi and its clones are not *easy* to learn right away.
    However, there are really only a handful of basic commands one needs to
    know to get started, plus the understanding that Vi is a *modal* editor.
    But I would say that in the long run, learning Vi will make you far more
    productive and happy and generally at peace with the world than being
    crippled by GUI editors.

    Additional side-benefits of learning Vi:
    * Vi is available on pretty much ANY Unix-y command line you will come
    across. Vi is available on windows. In fact, some form of Vi is availble
    on nearly every computing platform there is.
    * Vi is small, lightweight, fast.

    Oh for goodness sake, it's only 8:15 AM so I am done on this rant for now.
    I know preaching Vim as the one true text editor comes off as elitist, but
    really, I have never used a better tool for just editing code. And I've
    tried quite a few. Some might say that Emacs beats Vi. Emacs is one
    text editor I have never used and thus have no comments on. But Vi beats
    any strictly GUI text editor, IMO.

    Now, a *modal* Kate might beat Vi. Frankly, the one feature that gives
    Vi newbies the most trouble -- modality -- is the best feature Vi has.
    Modality removes any ambiguity from your current task. Are you typing in
    new text? Then you are in Insert mode. Otherwise you are in one of the
    (for Vim) 5 other editing modes (which are all basically variations of the
    same mode, if you ask me. Vim really only has two modes from my
    perspective -- Insert mode and Command mode.)

    Okay. Now I really *am* done.

    later...

    Jeffrey Silverman, Jul 10, 2004
  13. <snipped lots but I did read it all>

    Not my intention to flamebait at all. I agree with much of what you've said
    about Vim, honestly I know what you mean as I was using vi/vim long before
    I ever moved to KDevelop or even a GUI install of linux. However despite
    all you have said the reason why I believe KDevelop to be better than Vim
    is almost covered in your first two paragraphs.
    Kate (more especially KDevelop) offers the same features as Vim and much,
    much more. Although at first those options might seem frivolous you very
    quickly come to appreciate them. Now exactly what options KDevelop etc
    offers, that you would be unable to live without differs from person to
    person and so it would be pointless to start listing them all.

    Vim takes some learning you've admitted, well have you ever taken the time
    to learn KDevelop? Whilst it can be easily used by a newcomer it also has
    many features, functions etc that you learn through extended use. As far as
    the speed of moving a line of text etc, I find it no real slower in
    Kate/KDevelop/Ultraedit/Notepad to use the keyboard than Vim, it is
    certainly a different approach but it becomes second nature after a while.
    If there is any speed improvement in Vim I feel it is then lost in the
    modal nature of Vim - i.e. when I spend most of my time creating/editing
    code it's a real pan having to switch in and out of insert mode just to
    issue a command. Key-board shortcuts seem to make more sense than a command
    mode after a while and there are less of those moments where you take your
    eyes off the screen then look back to realise that the last five lines
    you've typed have ended up in the command space, or have over-written other
    text, because you forgot to switch back to insert mode.

    Stuart Morgan, Jul 10, 2004
  14. Sorry to interrupt your discussion here, but you seem to know what you're
    talking about when it comes to KDevelop and Kate.

    BTW I've used Vim and I was half way impressed by it. Of course, I'm one of
    the newbies that you talked about so of course I came up with a bit of
    trouble, gave up, and went back to Kate :( probably regret it in the
    future....

    But back on task: I can't seem to get KDevelop to work with PHP code. It
    doesn't highlight it as I expected -- it seems to be treating it as text. Am
    I doing something wrong? Somebody said that KDevelop works WITH Kate.... I
    have Kate, how do I do that? I installed the KDevelop version that came with
    my SuSE 9.0 pro distribution (kdevelop 2.1.5-325). (Here's the wierd part:
    the RPM is titled kdevelop3 but it lists its version as version 2.1.5-325?)
    So... what do I need to do?

    Thanks for any help
    -- Matt

    Matthew Del Buono, Jul 10, 2004
  15. And KDevelop is not Quanta or Kate - it's an IDE that can embed Kate, Vim,
    or other editors. KDevelop offers IDE features on top of the features of
    pure text editors.
    Just because you can use the mouse doesn't mean you have to:
    Shift+down
    Ctrl+x (or whatever shortcut you define)
    down, down
    Ctrl+v (or whatever shortcut you define)

    But if your personal preference is Vim, then use KDevelop with Vim. When
    writing any complex PHP scripts for sufficiently large projects KDevelop
    has many extremely useful IDE features that pure text editors would not.

    Zurab Davitiani, Jul 10, 2004