Good Riddance : DVDSoon

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Lester Bangs, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. Lester Bangs

    A Guest

    Their 50% off figures are quite suspect.

    Take their current offer - Serenity for CAD$24.98 - save 50% off the
    CAD$39.98 price.

    a) 50% off $39.98 is $19.99

    b) Who's selling it for $39.98? happyhunter lists the most expensive
    copy of Serenity at $30.59.

    Granted, they did have some good deals on new release DVD's which most
    went for $20 or so but its certainly not the 50% off like they
    advertise (except for AvP which genuinely did sell for 50% off at
    around $12 or so from memory)

    Having said that, 20% off their already cheap prices was still a great
    price and well worth the icard. It is a shame they went down the path
    they did.
    Using their suspect figures.
    Well actually I was. I got $25 each for the Kill Bill shirts, $35 for
    the golf balls and made one young boy very happy with the Spongebob
    pillow. All up a nice bonus.

    A, Dec 24, 2005

  2. Lester Bangs

    Lordy.UK Guest

    But they ran a lot of promotions that included up to 50% off various
    50% off RRP of course, that's no different to any other 'shop'. It's the
    same 'trick' as pulled by countless retailers throughout the world, and
    perfected by HMV, Woolies, et al.
    Current offers have got nothing to do with anything. DVDSoon stopped
    being competitive several months before they went under.
    They're only suspect if you have unreasonable expectations.

    As you say, figures are only part of the story but DVDSoon were
    invariably *always* the cheapest whenever I personally wanted anything.
    Hope that wasn't canadian dollars :)

    Lordy.UK, Dec 24, 2005