    Hi, am toying with the idea of a digital camera for a 7 year old. All
    the models I can find look delicate things, is there one model or
    brand that is built to withstand 7 year olds?

    jonsie, Nov 16, 2005

  2. No, anything beyond 150 Gs and slobber beyond 100% RH is beyond what
    manufacturers can come up with for under $1000. :>)

    Charles Schuler, Nov 16, 2005

  3. jonsie

    paul.busse Guest

    I haven't bothered to try one, but CVS drugstore, and maybe Ritz
    camera, have a $20 or so one-use digicam. What can you lose?

    Paul B.
    www.scienceteacher.biz

    paul.busse, Nov 16, 2005
  4. jonsie

    R. Murphy Guest

    Do you have a Toys 'R Us or something similar in your part of the world? -
    it might be that they have something targetted at that age group.

    R. Murphy, Nov 16, 2005
  5. I bought my 7 year old an Oly D-425 P&S. The shutter lag absolutely sucks
    but she loves the camera. Has it with her all the time. It's plenty sturdy
    enough for a 7 year old. If I had it to do again I'd spend a bit more money
    and see if I could reduce the shutter lag a bit.

    One word of warning. Kids are not very discretionary with what they shoot.
    ;-)

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Nov 17, 2005
  6. jonsie

    Mark² Guest

    What can you lose?
    -$20, of course...
    :)

    Mark², Nov 17, 2005
  7. jonsie

    Martin Guest

    How about buying them something secondhand?

    Martin

    Martin, Nov 17, 2005
  8. jonsie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    A lot depends on the 7 year old. Some are quite able to use a camera,
    and produce very good results. Others probably are better left with a
    lump of clay, and a leash. I have a niece who takes quite good
    pictures, and has since she was 5. I have no qualms with handing her my
    $300 camera at a family gathering. Her point of view, and natural
    talent produce some great shots of the other children. Can't say I
    would trust her older brother with the camera, though.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 17, 2005
  9. jonsie

    paul.busse Guest

    Yes, that was meant to be rhetorical ;-)

    Paul B.

    paul.busse, Nov 17, 2005