Good indoor zoom for Canon 10D, 28-135IS??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ned Hart, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Ned Hart

    Ned Hart Guest

    Hello everyone

    My Nikon coolpix 990 has been okay outdoors, but slow focus and
    blurred indoor shots have me wanting a 10D and a good lens. A zoom
    that focuses quickly and works well indoors would be ideal. After
    weeks of reading the newsgroups, I narrowed my selection down to the
    24-70 2.8L. Then I thought about going on vacation and visualized my
    24-70 getting sand and salt water on it, and I wondered just how good
    a lens does an almost happy Coolpix 990 owner really need? So I did
    more reading and came up with the 28-135IS, it's relatively cheap and
    the IS will help me get those indoor shots, and the money saved can
    get me a fast prime lense for indoor shots if I really need one. Can
    someone please confirm my conclusion, or point me in the right
    direction? Any 28-135IS sample photos?

    Thanks

    NH

    Ned Hart, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Ned Hart

    EarGuy Guest

    Would the mighty Canon 50mm lens do the job? It's well less than $100 and
    the shots I get with it blow away all my other (zoom ) lenses...i ahve the
    28-105, the 75-300 4.0-5.6 IS, and a Sigma 2.8 70-200.

    EarGuy, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Ned Hart

    Jack Winberg Guest

    Hi Ned:

    I am a former 990 user, and currently a happy 10D guy. That 28 - 135
    IS lens provokes a LOT of controversy, some love it, others don't. I
    am in the former camp, and feel that it yields good images in
    reasonably low light. And $69 will get you a 50mm f1.8 Canon lens that
    is razor sharp and will focus very well in low light. I feel this is
    a dynamiite combination.

    The 24 - 70 L lens is sharper wide open and focuses very well in lower
    light, BUT is much bigger and heavier, and MUCH more expensive.

    Coming from the 990, I think you will be DELIGHTED with the 28 - 135
    IS, and can opt for the 50mm 1.8 if you feel the need.

    Whatever you decide - ENJOY!

    Jack Winberg

    Jack Winberg, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Ned Hart

    FOR7b Guest

    Hi Ned:

    The 28-135IS is as sharp as the prime at 50mm, though with a bit less contrast
    as that test in the previously posted link shows.

    The only drawback with the 28-135 IS is its ability to focus in lower lighting
    conditions beyond 100mm. I used it with an Elan IIe and after it went to its
    max aperture at around 100mm focusing ability was shaky, especially in lower
    lighting conditions. I used to get quite a bit of hunting and back and forth
    adjustemnts on what I was focusing on. In comparison to another Canon lens I
    had, the discontinued 70-210 3.5-4.5 USM, that lens being a few years older
    focused much better. Optically though it is an outstandingly sharp lens so long
    as it has focused right. The Elan IIe I used it on is now ofcourse an old model
    so maybe newer ones will work much better with the 28-135 IS. The IS feature of
    course is awesome and worth the price alone.

    FOR7b, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Ned Hart

    Ned Hart Guest

    I want to thank everyone for helping me with this decision. Knowing a
    former 990 owner (Jack) is happy with this combo helps too. I'm
    getting the 28-135 for sure. My final question is about the Canon
    50mm f1.8. Is it good enough for low light handheld shots to consider
    getting both lenses, 50mm & 28-135?

    Thanks again, kinda feels like an early Christmas :)

    Ned Hart, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Ned Hart

    Alan F Cross Guest

    While all you 28-135 users are here, can you say if your lens has
    lateral movement of the front barrel? Mine moves sideways about half a
    millimetre, as if it's a poor fit in the main barrel, and it's quite
    disquieting. Some others have said they have movement, but I'm not sure
    how much is reasonable. Pix look OK, but no tough tests yet. It feels so
    wrong that such a 'good' lens should feel like it's cheap and nasty in
    this respect. Hard to believe it can behave well optically under these
    circumstances. The IS correction is all internal, as far as I know, so
    it's nothing to do with that.

    Any comments appreciated.

    Alan F Cross, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Ned Hart

    Simon Lee Guest

    Alan F Cross choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to spell
    out:
    Mine's got a little play in the barrel when extended, works fine.
    Figure you'll be all right unless it's actually falling out :)

    Simon Lee, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Ned Hart

    FOR7b Guest

    While all you 28-135 users are here, can you say if your lens has
    That's normal. Stop playing with it too. :)

    FOR7b, Oct 17, 2003
  9. Ned Hart

    FOR7b Guest

    I think the main advantage there is so you can also have a much more compact
    lens. The 28-135IS is sharp down to its widest aperture and the IS feature will
    allow you to hand hold down to at least what you will be able to with the 50mm
    wide open but with sharper results as the widest apertures in that lens are
    noticeably less sharp. If the bulk of the 28-135IS doesn't bother you I'd say
    just stick with it and forget about the 50mm 1.8.

    One last thing to consider though, and that takes into consideration the camera
    you will be using it on, is the fact that the 50mm 1.8 should be noticeably
    better in the auto focus department, mainly in low light, than the 28-135IS
    because of its big max aperture. With the newer Canon cameras I don't know how
    much of a difference that would be but with my Elan IIe, and an A2 I also had,
    the difference in low light was night and day. The wider max aperterure lenses
    were very accurate and did not hunt. That was also the case with a Tokina 28-70
    2.8 ATX lens I had which focused beautifully compared to the 28-135IS in low
    light.

    FOR7b, Oct 17, 2003