    is also noticeably warped. Now the disk is unplayable.

    I'm assuming this is a manufacturing error, and I've never seen this on any
    other disk. Was it bad glue? Advanced rot?

    Del March, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Gold indicates the disc is dual-layered, nothing weird there, in fact
    it's become standard. And how is the disc warped, exactly? Bowed? Did
    you clean the disc properly (wiping outward in a radial pattern, not in
    circles)? Did you warp the disc by handling it too roughly while
    cleaning it?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 7, 2003

  3. Del March

    Del March Guest

    << And how is the disc warped, exactly? Bowed? Did
    you clean the disc properly (wiping outward in a radial pattern, not in
    circles)? Did you warp the disc by handling it too roughly while
    cleaning it? >>

    Well, as I said in my original post:

    "I used the edge of my clean t-shirt, and gently wiped it off,
    center to edge."

    How that could possibly translate to "handling it too roughly", I'm not sure.
    But the answer is, no, I carefully cleaned the surface. It's warped in the
    sense that it can not be used as a mirror, like a regular disk. The surface,
    while mostly flat, is also very irregular.

    And while a dual sided disk may be gold, would it appear to be partly gold and
    partly silver at the same time? Halfway through cleaning, it was half and
    half. It was like a spreading stain. The disk went from slightly stuttering
    to flatly rejected by the DVD player.

    Del March, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Del March

    BubbCoop Guest

    <<And while a dual sided disk may be gold, would it appear to be partly gold
    and
    partly silver at the same time? Halfway through cleaning, it was half and
    half. It was like a spreading stain. >>

    I've never heard of such a thing. Or believe it.

    BubbCoop, Sep 7, 2003
  5. Del March

    DarkMatter Guest

    Sounds like the idiot is using a solvent to clean plastic with. DOH!

    DarkMatter, Sep 7, 2003
  6. Del March

    DarkMatter Guest

    The BEST DVD read surface is one that has never been touch. You
    clean it freaks are the worst thing that ever happened to your
    collections.

    DarkMatter, Sep 7, 2003
  7. Del March

    Del March Guest

    The BEST DVD read surface is one that has never been touch. You
    clean it freaks are the worst thing that ever happened to your
    collections.

    Remarkable.... I post a simple description of a phenomenon I've newly
    encountered, and I'm accused of lying, using solvent, or told that if a
    fingerprint keeps the disk from playing, I should just leave it alone

    Usenet lives down to its reputation...

    Del March, Sep 7, 2003

  8. No, it's just a few of the denizens of this particular newsgroup..
    Legitimate questions get flamed, it's unbelievable.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 8, 2003
  9. Del March

    Biird Phd Guest