going nuts: Sony dsc-w1 or Pentax optio-s40

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mammaloe, May 9, 2004.

  1. Mammaloe

    Mammaloe Guest

    Hi all,

    I would really appreciate your opinion about what I should choose:
    Sony DSC-W1 (new model) or Pentax Optio S40.

    I am new to digital cameras but I have narrowed my choice to these two
    models because:

    at least 4 MP (pentax 4, sony 5)
    AA batteries (going to Italy next week)
    continous movie mode (pentax vga vs sony svga)
    both got a decent review at steve's digicams site
    nearly the same price over here (Holland)

    I just want to be able to shoot nice holiday pics and short movies
    with a good quality portable camera.

    Thanks in advance !

    Mammaloe, May 9, 2004

  2. Mammaloe

    Jim Spen Guest

    I would go with the Sony, having owned a NEW Pentax S4i they are problems
    with image sharpness/quality IMO... Size is great but if it doesn't take
    good quality pictures then why bother... The S40 is supposed to be a tad
    better
    that the S4i so I would definately look at photos taken with both and then
    decide.

    Jim Spen, May 9, 2004

  3. Mammaloe

    Chieh Cheng Guest

    You will use up memory card like crazy if you use your camera to shoot
    videos. I found this out recently on my trip. After buying three new
    256 MB memory sticks for less than 30 minutes of video, I ended up
    buying a new camcorder along the way. I salvaged the memory cards by
    transfering the videos onto the camcorder.

    Chieh

    Chieh Cheng, May 10, 2004
  4. Mammaloe

    Mammaloe Guest

    Thanks for your advice guys,

    So the Sony it will be, I just have to be cautious not doing too much
    petit movies. I'll buy a 1 G memory stick pro card anyway.

    Mammaloe, May 10, 2004