GOING FULL RES WITH THE 20D !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Was that with extension tubes, closeup lenses, or neither???

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 28, 2007

  3. Annika1980

    Mark² Guest

    What sort of sharpening was applied here + how much?

    I am impressed with the quality of the OOF elements--esecially stopped down.
    I'd be interested to see how it handled OOF highlights in a shot like
    this...

    Mark², Jan 28, 2007
  4. Annika1980

    Jer Guest

    That's odd... neither FF nor IE will display this image on this page
    regardless of chosen size. Weird. Wild.

    Jer, Jan 28, 2007
  5. Annika1980

    Mark² Guest

    Perhaps even more odd... FF would a little while ago, but now...an hour
    later...it won't.
    -Must be an error with Pbase.

    Mark², Jan 28, 2007
  6. Annika1980

    Mike Fields Guest

    Nah, that image is just too fast for us -- I couldn't load it either.

    Mike Fields, Jan 28, 2007
  7. Annika1980

    Mark² Guest

    :)
    I've seen occasional blips with pbase like this before... Not sure why it
    happens...but this isn't the first time.

    Mark², Jan 28, 2007
  8. Annika1980

    J. Clarke Guest

    Yeah, same thing happened to me.

    J. Clarke, Jan 28, 2007
  9. Annika1980

    ASAAR Guest

    Nope, it's not a Pbase error. Nobody else but Bret's images are
    having this problem. For some unknown reason his pictures
    occasionally get spiked. It's a real conundrum, but we've got some
    good people working on it. If Archie and Saul aren't able to figure
    it out on their own, Nero surely will.

    ASAAR, Jan 28, 2007
  10. :
    : >Annika1980 wrote:
    : >> If you want to see just what the 20D can do with the Freakishly Fast
    : >> 50 f/1.2L, then click this link to see a sample at full resolution.
    : >>
    : >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/73636844/original
    : >>
    : >
    : >
    : >That's odd... neither FF nor IE will display this image on this page
    : >regardless of chosen size. Weird. Wild.
    :
    : Yeah, same thing happened to me.

    What? Never seen a totally black image from a digital camera before?
    ROTFL with this one!

    Doug MacDonald, Jan 28, 2007
  11. Annika1980

    Jer Guest

    Trying again, I see the browsers render the web page with the image
    reservation, but time out waiting for that reservation to be filled with
    image data. Yes, all other images elsewhere render just fine, so
    there's something amiss with this particular image. I suppose it's not
    a stretch to imagine a data file getting corrupted on disk after it was
    originally written error-free. Who's Nero?

    Jer, Jan 28, 2007
  12. Annika1980

    Jer Guest

    I found Nero...
    http://www.pbase.com/winstonmitchell/image/50048803

    Jer, Jan 28, 2007
  13. Annika1980

    ASAAR Guest

    ASAAR, Jan 28, 2007
  14. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    PBase must be having server troubles.
    It won't even let me re-upload the pic.

    So I uploaded it once again at this link:
    http://pbase.com/bret/image/73661889/original

    Annika1980, Jan 28, 2007
  15. Annika1980

    M-M Guest

    Is 50mm f8 1/100 sec any different with your f1.2 lens than if I would
    use the same settings on a slower lens? Would the faster lens give a
    greater dof?

    M-M, Jan 28, 2007
  16. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    One thing I quickly learned is that the 50 f/1.2L doesn't focus as
    close as I'd like.
    So on that pic I had to use a small (12mm) extension tube.
    Without extension tubes it is difficult to fill the frame with
    anything except the largest butterflies.

    Annika1980, Jan 28, 2007
  17. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    No, at f/8 it is unlikely that you could see much difference between
    the $1600 f/1.2L and the $70 f/1.8.

    The faster lens gives a smoother bokeh, especially with out of focus
    highlights. I'll post more examples showing this in a few days when
    I'm done with my testing.

    Annika1980, Jan 28, 2007
  18. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    The representation of the OOF highlights you mentioned is the one area
    where the f/1.2L shines over the f/1.8 lens. The highlights are
    rendered in perfect circles with the f/1.2L, compared with the
    pentagonal shape of the f/1.8. This might be important for a wedding
    photographer or someone who makes his living shooting on the street.

    I'll try to post some examples later.

    Annika1980, Jan 28, 2007
  19. Annika1980

    Ken Lucke Guest

    Ah, a Stout fan.... I have every one of his books, and many in first
    edition, including two signed ones.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Jan 28, 2007
  20. It's a conspiracy! It would seem PBase isn't used to bokeh.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jan 28, 2007