    the problem but having just disabled it the problem appears to have gone
    away. Could it be some kind of conflict with XP's "reverting" software? Any
    help appreciated before I disable it permanently.

    Chris, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Chris

    DL Guest

    Since you can create restore points in xp why use Goback and duplicate the
    function?

    DL, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Chris

    Ionizer Guest

    GoBack does a whole lot more than XP's System Restore. It maintains a
    contantly-updated snapshot of absolutely everything on your system. Like
    every tiny detail, updated on-the-fly. This is why it can result in a lot
    of hard drive activity, particularly after something major like a defrag.
    But it is a very effective safety net.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Chris

    ñKs Guest

    you forgot to mention it's a resource hog and it sucks....

    ñKs, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    So, do you use it Ian, with XP? and if so does it act like I've described?
    It's a bit academic now as I've had to do a complete format of the entire
    drive. It's beginning to feel like theres a physical defect on the HD.
    Initially I thought it was Zone Alarm, then GoBack, I'm putting neither of
    them on this time, if all else fails it's Windows 98 and after that back to
    the shop.

    Chris, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Chris

    Murgi Guest

    Yes, I experienced the same problems.
    Invest 45$ and get TrueImage from Acronis (now version 7.0)... and you can
    be assured that your backup can be 100% restored and everything will work as
    desired!

    Murgi

    Murgi, Mar 1, 2004
  7. Chris

    Ionizer Guest

    I used GoBack on my old PIII-500, W98SE system for about two years. It was
    my first computer and I just KNEW that I'd completely screw things up
    occasionally, so I installed GoBack as my safety net. And it really did
    come in handy on several occasions, rescuing me from near-disasters that I
    could find no other way to fix. Even if Windows won't boot, GoBack can
    still fix things.

    But the drawback is, as you've noticed, lots of disc activity as it updates
    its image while you're using your computer, especially if you're doing
    something which itself requires a lot of disc activity, like video editing
    or playing a game. Or defragging. I used to shut GoBack down when I
    defragged for this reason, because otherwise it would take an hour to catch
    up following the defrag. Unfortunately, temporarily deactivating GoBack
    also erases its collection of restore points. And because it's running all
    the time, it can slow down an underpowered system. My PIII-500 was quite
    useable and capable while I had GoBack running, but it was noticeably faster
    once I uninstalled it.

    You didn't mention how much horsepower your system has, and I'm not familiar
    with the current incarnation of GoBack on an XP system, but I would think
    that you can at least re-install Zone Alarm without fear of slowing your
    system to a crawl. It's a really good firewall, and it runs in the
    background without incident on my current WXP 2.8GHz system. And if you
    want to create a safety net for yourself which doesn't hog resources at all,
    Consider making an image of your system with something like Norton Ghost.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Mar 1, 2004