Global IP Changing Without Router Restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AmbiguousNinja, Jul 2, 2013.

1. AmbiguousNinja

AmbiguousNinja

As of two weeks ago my global/external IP has been changing around 3am-8am. I have a 2wire 2701HG-G wireless modem/router and a dynamic IP address. Usually my IP would never change unless power to my router was disrupted (power outage, unplug). However, my IP has been changing quite frequently and I do not think my router is automatically restarting itself because my IP changed twice today, once during an hour that I was on the internet with no disruptions in service. To my limited knowledge, I didn't think that the external IP could be changed without restarting my router.

I'm running a little program that detects disruptions in service right now and will leave it overnight to check for disconnects just in case. My questions are:
    Is there a reason for my IP to be changing regularly all of a sudden?
    Is there any harm to me for my IP to be changing; is anyone able to do anything because my IP is changing?

As a sidenote, a few days ago my latency increased (20 to 50-60ms) with little effect on my download and upload speeds. When I asked around my friends who are also on Bell Canada, they have also experienced this increase but they all have static IP's so I couldn't compare that.

Thanks in advance for any responses and sorry for the wall of text!

AmbiguousNinja, Jul 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. AmbiguousNinja

Atkgn182

Should cause you no harm as long as you have internet acces. Its your ISP that is doing the numerous IP changes

Atkgn182, Aug 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question