    Joe Leikhim K4SAT
    "The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

    "Follow The Money" ;-P

    **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**, Apr 29, 2006

  2. Beowulf

    Goro Guest

    i agree with you Unclejr, BUT, the SXRD is a smoking set, i must admit.

    -goro-

    Goro, Apr 29, 2006

  3. Beowulf

    Goro Guest

    I'd wait a bit anyway, regardless of the PQ of the SXRD v. Sammy..
    I'd wait to see when there are 1080p sets that take 1080p INPUTS. I'd
    also wait to see if there's a new gen of 1080p NON-wobulated DLPs. I
    figure that's about the threshhold of PQ that I'll beable to notice (at
    least for now).

    -goro-

    Goro, Apr 29, 2006
  4. Of course there isn't any 1080p video available today except from
    PC-based sources, so those few sets that do have 1080p native inputs (HP
    comes to mind) won't have any practical source material.

    Travis Jordan, Apr 29, 2006
  5. Beowulf

    Deke Guest

    I've read all these posts, and there's no correct answer to this problem.
    Whats happened is that some of the cleaning solution has run down to the
    bottom of the screen, into the U shaped ledge that holds the screen, and the
    fresnel lens behind it. It has then "wicked" up between the two sheets of
    plastic, and is causing the dark spot. You can probably get the spot to
    change shape slightly if you press gently on the screen. And its a very,
    very small amount of water.
    So, to fix it, get a hair dryer. Put it on LOW (!!!) and slowly move it
    back and forth over the wet spot. Dont want to get it hot, just warm to
    make the liquid evaporate. The spot should
    disappear, unless the cleaning fluid was very, very contaminated with dirt,
    doubtful.
    No new screen needed.
    BTW, some time back, I had a HD big screen Toshiba come in that had been
    marked on with crayons, magic markers, and who-knows-what -else by children.
    I used a can of WD-40
    and a fine toothbrush to clean the screen, worked like a charm. Had a great
    picture, sold it for over $600.
    Try drying your screen before you do something drastic.
    And, I have to admit, I've done the same thing, and created exactly the same
    problem when I clean my 60" Pioneer. The problem will go away with
    time,(evaporation) but the hair dryer will cure the problem quicker. Oh,
    and I use warm soapy water on the Pioneer. In very sparing amounts....
    HTH
    Deke

    Deke, Apr 29, 2006
  6. Beowulf

    hrhofmann Guest

    GREAT IDEA!!!!

    H. R. Hofmann

    hrhofmann, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Beowulf

    Andy Cuffe Guest

    That's exactly what could have happened. If any cleaner got between
    the screen and the outer protective screen, it will cause this type of
    problem. There shouldn't be any damage to the screen, but it may take
    a while for it to dry completely. It might have to be disassembled
    for proper cleaning, but there's no serious damage. Glass cleaner
    shouldn't hurt the screen if used occasionally.
    Andy Cuffe

    Andy Cuffe, Apr 30, 2006
  8. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    oh man did i dodge a bullet on this one! The screen is back to almost
    normal, that black rectangle is 95% gone, I had the heat in my home turned
    up to 70 the past couple of days because of cold weather here in northern
    MN, and brought up the hair dryer to do what you said and the spot was
    almost gone! Evaporation from the heat in the house and low humidity. I
    still blew the hair dryer on it for awhile, will do so more later. I can
    live with it the way it is, hopefully more of it will still go away.

    I just do not understand what causes the black coloration if it is just a
    liquid, that is the bluish glass cleaner liquid that got up there. Just
    curious, if anybody knows. Polarization of the liquid or something?

    Thanks all for the help, even though this time I did not have to buy a new
    screen. I was just SICK over the thought of $800+, I am sure going to be
    VERY careful now about cleaning the TV, taking better care of it, reading
    manuals (ok, yeah right, like we all say we will wash and wax a new car
    the first days after driving off the Dealer's lot, LOL).

    Beowulf, May 1, 2006
  9. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Spot is almost gone from drying, and like you say I might at worst have to
    pay $100 for a repairman to come and clean the inside of the screen if
    some of that "black" residue sticks and does not evaporate. Man that is
    much better than a new TV, or $800 to replace a screen!

    Beowulf, May 1, 2006
  10. Beowulf

    Deke Guest

    The water probably changes the refraction angle of the light coming thru the
    fresnel, and the front screen. Since the angle of the light coming thru the
    screen is different thru the liquid, it looks black, or dark, in comparison
    to the "normal" light. Now that you've cleaned the screen, be glad you dont
    have to worry about cleaning the dust off the crt lenses inside. Cleaning a
    years worth of dust off the lenses in my Pioneer makes a very noticeable
    difference. I usually do it in the fall, right before the new TV season
    starts. Theres a D-ILA in my near future. Pro series.
    Youre welcome.
    Deke

    Deke, May 1, 2006
  11. Beowulf

    GMAN Guest

    Do not tell the service center what happened, call them and have them repair tv
    under warranty.

    GMAN, May 2, 2006
  12. Beowulf

    GMAN Guest

    Just whatever you do in the future, never spray cleaner directly on the tv
    screen, apply it to a cloth then clean with that. Also never clean a TV with it
    turned on. Static just attracts dust like a magnet.

    GMAN, May 2, 2006
  13. Beowulf

    AZ Nomad Guest

    Bullshit. DLT TVs don't have any voltage on the screen. You're thinking
    of a CRT.

    AZ Nomad, May 2, 2006
  14. On a rear projector?

    Dave Plowman (News), May 3, 2006
  15. Beowulf

    GMAN Guest

    You didnt need to bullshit the post, i did mean CRT's. I forgot we were talking
    plasma/dlp/lcd etc....

    I still wouldnt do it while the tv was on.

    GMAN, May 3, 2006
  16. Beowulf

    Biz Guest

    Nice to see such honesty....if repair were necessary, this is not acceptable
    behaviour on anyone's part....he damaged it, he should have to pay to fix
    it....

    Biz, May 3, 2006
  17. Beowulf

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    A good tech can tell. Besides that, leeched liquid, whether user
    applied or whatever, is not covered as it is not a manufacturer's
    defect.

    Roy L. Fuchs, May 4, 2006