    am depressed about this of course. Is there any way I can fix this myself,
    or even pay a TV repair person to fix it? How serious of damage, what sort
    of damage, might I have done? Any feedback or help greatly appreciated.

    Beowulf, Apr 28, 2006

  2. Beowulf

    Mike Berger Guest

    You have probably damaged some of the non-reflective coating on one
    of the surfaces and are looking at a replacement cost of a few hundred
    dollars. Just out of curiosity, what does the owner's manual say
    about screen cleaning?

    Mike Berger, Apr 28, 2006

  3. On my DLP rear projector (Sagem) it's an easy job to remove the screen.
    (mine was delivered with the screen pushed in out of the rubber surround
    in one place and I fixed it myself rather than get a repair man out) I
    can't see why it should be difficult on any make. The screen is some form
    of flexible plastic so I'd not use glass cleaner, but just mild detergent
    and water.

    Dave Plowman (News), Apr 28, 2006
  4. See the topic below.. "2 year old tried to Give Scooby a Drink on my 51 inch
    Toshiba Rear Projection !!!! PLZ Help !!"

    Michael Kennedy, Apr 28, 2006
  5. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    I would guess soap and water, or just water, sigh. I know I screwed up.

    Beowulf, Apr 28, 2006
  6. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Yes, it was "Glass Cleaner with Ammonia". Am I screwed? Can I have a TV
    repair guy fix it for a few hundred? Actually that would be worth it-- I
    am dreading the thought of buying a new TV at a cost of $1500-$2500.

    Beowulf, Apr 28, 2006
  7. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:45:29 +0000, AZ Nomad inscribed to the world:

    I think I *might* have gotten the extended warranty. But I would think
    any warranty would not cover my stupidity as using ammonia based cleaner
    when the instructions likely said to just use water or a bit of soap and
    water. I screwed up. I hope an ext warranty might cover it, but if I can
    even get away with paying just a few hundred I will be relieved.

    Beowulf, Apr 28, 2006
  8. Beowulf

    Sarah T Guest

    why not call the people that made your tv & ask them what todo?

    Sarah T, Apr 28, 2006
  9. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Good suggestion, thank you. I will try their 800# or email. Hopefully not
    a dozen automated submenus. Maybe they can give me an idea of the cost
    involved to repair, replace screen, or whatever, Not knowing how much I am
    screwed is killing me more than finding out it will cost me $600 to repair.

    Beowulf, Apr 28, 2006
  10. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Talked to Samsung, they were very nice very easy to get through to their
    tech support. Connected me with 3-way call to local repair store. Looks
    like $300-400 for a new screen and $200-300 labor for on site screen
    replacement; that was at one place. I know a guy (The TV Doctor) who might
    do cheaper. I am also thinking as some have suggested, that perhaps paying
    just labor to remove screen and clean inside might solve the problem,
    unless of course the ammonia cleaner I was stupid enough to use damaged
    permenently the screen, etc

    Crying, but at least $600 is far better than $2000-3000 for a new TV.

    Beowulf, Apr 28, 2006
  11. How old is the set? Even though I'm not in favor of disposable
    electronics, the reality is that technology changes so rapidly in this
    area that you might want to consider springing for a new one before
    sinking $600 into the old one. If indeed, it is 'old'.

    Before you make any decision on this be sure to view the picture from a
    good HD source on the Sony 60" LCOS set (KDS-R60XBR1). It is the best
    60" set on the market today - IMHO.

    Travis Jordan, Apr 28, 2006
  12. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Only about 15 months old.

    Beowulf, Apr 28, 2006
  13. Look at the Sony set anyway and see what you think. On the one hand if
    you really like the picture you can justify replacing last year's set as
    an 'upgrade'. Maybe you can convince your local retailer to take the
    old one in trade. Or OTOH if you don't think the picture is noticeable
    superior then you will feel better spending only $600 and getting your
    serviceable set back.

    Travis Jordan, Apr 28, 2006
  14. Look at the Sony set anyway and see what you think. On the one hand if
    Agreed.. You also have to consider the life of the lamp in your DLP set. The
    lamp may be about to go out and that can eaisly cost $600+ but it may have
    a couple years left in it. I'm not sure but I think you only get about
    2000 - 3000 hours out of most lamps.

    Just my $.02

    - Mike

    Michael Kennedy, Apr 28, 2006
  15. Beowulf

    AZ Nomad Guest

    then don't tell them.

    The only thing ammonia based cleaner will do is possibly discolor the
    surface after many years of exposure.

    AZ Nomad, Apr 28, 2006
  16. Beowulf

    AZ Nomad Guest

    It's a ripoff if the fault wasn't yours and you have a warranty.

    AZ Nomad, Apr 28, 2006
  17. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Good point. If I do the match, my lamp may have 3000 hrs used on it, so it
    may indeed be about to go out. Where could I see the price of a
    replacement lamp?

    Beowulf, Apr 28, 2006
  18. Search on google.. or call your local repair shop..

    - Mike

    Michael Kennedy, Apr 28, 2006
  19. Beowulf

    unclejr Guest

    This is terrible advice. Friends don't let friends purchase anything
    from SONY. This is the company that has constantly and consistently
    screwed with their customers for decades. A ROOTKIT for your PC,
    anyone? 'Nuff said.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Apr 29, 2006
  20. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Yeah, their rootkit and other DRM strategies have caused me to boycott any
    and all SONY products.

    Beowulf, Apr 29, 2006