    Whether he's told to leave by the police, or arrested for something,
    is up to the police. Whatever would have been done, it wouldn't have
    been the death penalty.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 3, 2014

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I thought your use of the word "wait" was a deliberate pun after the
    comment about sloppy typing, which is why I brought speakos into the mix.

    PeterN, Jun 4, 2014

  3. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    in the UK we'd call it a fart. ;-)

    Again proving that differnt words can and do mean differnt things to different people even if they speak the same langauge.

    I'm guessing you use the word bum to mean a tramp or a homeless person or in legal terms someone of no fixed abode.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 4, 2014
  4. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    People arguing against the individual rights interpretation are living
    in the past. The Supreme Court has ruled, it is an individual right, it
    is not tied to participatiion in a militia, that ship has sailed, and
    arguing to the contrary is a waste of time and effort.

    The gun control advocates need to abandon that rhetoric and find a new
    argument. With DC v Heller they shot themselves in the foot. The
    Supreme Court had managed to avoid ruling on that point for more than
    200 years but the district attorney in DC presented such a crazy theory
    of law (specifically the notion that the Constitution did not apply in
    DC) that the Supreme Court pretty much _had_ to knock it down. Then
    Chicago stuck their foot in it and got the question of whether it
    restricted the states settled (it does). So now the legal battle is no
    longer over whether there is such a right but what if any the
    limitations on it might be.

    J. Clarke, Jun 4, 2014
  5. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    It wold have been more like "why did I leave those two Gatlings back at
    the fort?"

    J. Clarke, Jun 4, 2014
  6. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    It slipped my mind that the term is not universal. I do understand
    the difference between "He shot the bum" and "He shot the man in the
    bum" as well as the difference between "He shot the man in the arse"
    and "He shot an ass". And, the case of a female, not to say "He shot
    her in the fanny" when he didn't.

    A "bum", here, is an chronically unemployed person. Usually homeless,
    but lack of employment or another source of income is the real
    determinate. A "tramp", though, is a bum who travels. "Tramp" is
    not used much anymore.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 4, 2014
  7. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Doesn't seem that free to me when so many are incarsurated FIVE times the number we lock up here per 100,000. It seems a significant number seem to need a gun to protect themselves and their family, but from whom is the bigquestion.
    Some on here suggested that it's because of us Brits and our taxes which was why the 2nd admentment and the right to bear arms comes from.

    You know during WWII we semi-armed old people and those not signed up for war and called them the homeguard just in case the germans or Nazi invaded, after the war ended we felt less threatened from Germany so re-called the majority of the weapons as it seemed a good idea.

    Nothing wrong with drama queens unless they become unstable or violent but then I'd hope to find ways of minimising thier access to such weapons.

    I assume abu hamza hasnt the right to bear arms now his in the USA, and I hope you keep him for a long time.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 4, 2014
  8. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I though so but it was maily aimed at those that dictionary peek .

    Not sure what a chronically unemployed person might describe.
    For em you're either employed or not I wouldn't use the word chronically.

    I would use teh term chronically unemployed person ill for someoen almost at deaths door medically.

    Not used much here either homeless is the usaul term, then we have travelers, gypsis and refugess some of these groups are difficult to tell apart..

    Whisky-dave, Jun 4, 2014
  9. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    "Chronically", in this context, means "of long or frequent duration".
    It's similar to the application to a medical condition, but when we
    speak of the "chronically unemployed" we are referring to someone who
    is usually out-of-work. That person may be employed at times as a
    day-worker out of a temp agency (a labor pool), but is more often
    unemployed.

    Someone who is unemployed could be a person who simply does not have a
    job at the time.

    The traveller, though, is different. (We use "traveler" with one "l"
    to mean "one who travels", and recognize "traveller" with two "l"s to
    mean the Romany.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 4, 2014
  10. RichA

    PAS Guest

    The anti-gun nuts will never consider it settled because they don't agree
    with it.

    PAS, Jun 4, 2014
  11. RichA

    PAS Guest

    If you want to judge by statistics alone, we shall say the the UK is a very
    racist nation because there are proportionally far mor black people jailed
    in the UK than in the US. See what statistics can do?

    The notion comes from a distrust of government. An armed citizenry is a
    check against a tyrannical government.
    Do you not know that an appeal was made to Americans to help arm the British
    at the outset of WWII due to the lack of wepaons because of the British gun
    control laws?
    If being a drama queen is their only misdeed, than what reason is there to
    minimize their access to firearms?

    PAS, Jun 4, 2014
  12. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    If they do that they marginalize themselves into the same kind of
    conspiracy nuts as the anti-income-tax loons.

    J. Clarke, Jun 5, 2014
  13. RichA

    android Guest

    Way too fast. I guess that I always will...
    No, that would not be possible... ;-p
    You a probably a way better typist than me. SO WHAT!!!

    android, Jun 5, 2014
  14. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    So do you have more ort less peole than the UK do that commit crimes.

    They don't but as yet we dontl; execute peolke that have commited crimes that can also lower the number of people in jails.

    Bad cheque, I'm not sure about, I gues sit depends on what;'s meant, but if yuo don't pay your concil tax then yes you will go to jail even if you're 70.

    You can be jailed for punching someone
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/feb/26/bournemouth-man-jailed-kill-punch

    Can you show me that stat sounds? a bit distorted to me .

    i.e I believe it when I see it.
    Of course I could sauy that america is more sexist that the UK because of teh number of women you have in prison.
    Here's my stats.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm
    USA 8.9% women
    UK 5.5% women

    Shall we take from this that Kenya is the only country in the owrld to treat men and women equal as far as prison goes ?

    So the amerave joe, can protect himself from the might of the american army, navy and airforce, yes you have me convinced. My ex-flatmate was caught up in the LA riots in '92 police seemed to gain control.

    Are you seriously saying that the america public (here I'm thinking of savageduck with his guns squaring up against the american army.

    Yes but it wasn;t because of British guns laws. Do you really think rifles and pistols we what Britain needed, we needed plans, ships and military not a few pistols.

    Because theior dramas are important to them I know drama queens and I wouldn't give then access to guns to sort their dramas out.

    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dangerous-liaisons/

    Most drama queens I know are gay men. Do you really think that if a drama queen is causing a fuss about 'her' new hairdo not looking right you'd give them a gun to sort it out with their hairdresser.

    The drama queens I know have mental issues (IMO), some more serious than others but there isn;t a single one I'd consider giving a gun to for sorting out their probelms.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 5, 2014
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    The more important question is WTF was he doing there.

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2014
  16. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    There is a big difference between against gun nuts, and being anti guns.
    If you wish to own a gun, fine provided gun ownership is subject to
    reasonable regulations. Gun nuts, think everyone should have the
    unrestricted right to own and carry arms, any place, at any time.
    Using that definition, there are millions of people who are anti gun
    nuts. Yes there are nuts on both sides of the fence.

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2014
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    And it didn't belong to us, so we took it anyway.

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2014
  18. RichA

    PAS Guest

    "PeterN"
    Yes, there are nuts on both sides, as there usually is. I like to use the
    term "anti-gun nut" whenever someone introduces "gun-nut" into the
    discussion. Being in favor of he right to own a gun, I've been referred to
    as a gun-nut from time-to-time, usually by people who simply believe no one
    should ever own a gun for any reason, but also b some others who want to see
    more and more restrictions on our freedom.

    PAS, Jun 5, 2014
  19. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    However anyone who persists in the "militia" rhetoric post-Heller is
    ignorant, in denial, or nuts.

    J. Clarke, Jun 6, 2014
  20. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    It would seem to me that any reference to the Second Amendment, by a
    nut on either side, without a mention of "militia" is in denial.

    Those on the pro-gun-control side bring it up as a condition that is
    no longer is a threat. Those on the pro-gun side bring it up
    obliquely as a need for the citizenry to arm themselves to defend
    against the only invading force that is feared: our federal
    government. If the citizenry is prepared to form and defend, that's a
    militia.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 6, 2014